Origin Icon diapered

Patrick Fritsch

Question

I have a 2017 file that I brought into 2018 at first it seemed to be working. but then problem started to appear, like select faces would not highlight with the push pull tool, drawing a rectangle would not subsequently highlight face to allow push pull operation. Then I noticed my drawing was far for the internal origin so I brought everything closer with solved the problem of push pull face selection. but i'm still missing the icon in the top left corner. Any ideas? 

missing origin icon.PNG

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you click there (if moving the user origin wasnt disabled already) does it then still let you set the origin? Does Tools > Origin > User Origin still function? These questions are mostly to determine whether it's a functional or graphical problem.

It vanished on me for a few of the betas in 2018, but that seemed tied to specific builds and I currently see it just fine on the release build.

Nevermind, found this in the tracker. Apparently this is an intermittant issue corrected in SP1. For the time being, User > Origin and then Set at Next Click works around it. Apparently it IS document specific, but I am not sure what exactly about a file causes it.

Hi, I'm using VW 2018 Fundamentals SP1 and still have this problem. It's no biggie really the Ctrl9 thing works but it is something I do quite often.

If I 'create blank document' the icon is there top left and works OK. If I 'use document template' even a VW preinstalled one the icon disappears. Strange.

Regards

On 10/13/2017 at 2:47 PM, deck said:

Hi, I'm using VW 2018 Fundamentals SP1 and still have this problem. It's no biggie really the Ctrl9 thing works but it is something I do quite often.

If I 'create blank document' the icon is there top left and works OK. If I 'use document template' even a VW preinstalled one the icon disappears. Strange.

Regards

Confirming Deck's observation.

I'm having this issue as well with 2018 SP1, first I thought it was removed but it's good to hear that is not supposed to be the case. Because I immediately created a new default template for starting up Vectorworks I did not notice it is still there when creating a blank document. I just tried and when creating a blank document that origin icon is still there, it's not there with templates created in VW2018 and opened through File>new and then choose a template.

The odd thing is that when I open a VW2017 template through File>open (select file and have it converted to VW2018 format) the origin icon does show up.
When I open a VW 2018 template file using File>open the origin does not show up show up.

So it seems to be an issue with templates created in VW2018.

When opening a normal VW2017 file the origin icon appears, once saved as VW2018 and opened again after it has been closed the origin icon does not appear.

Another observation, once you have a document open where the origin icon is visible, it will then also be visible when other documents are opened after that file in the same VW session as long as that file is open. Once all files have been closed and a VW2018 fiie is opened again the origin icon no longer appears.

Files opened in VW (and still open) that do not show the origin icon and opened before the file that does show an origin icon will not have the origin icon appear afterwards, so it seems to be persistent with the document.

Using Ctr-9 works without issues.

Edited by Art V
2 hours ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

I'm on SP1 and a little hesitant to progress with my projects in 2018 as I fear it may start wreaking havoc later on.

No real danger, its a graphical glitch. You can use Tools > Origin or CMD-9 to invoke it even when the icon doesn't appear. 

On 10/14/2017 at 2:35 PM, Art V said:

Confirming Deck's observation.

I'm having this issue as well with 2018 SP1, first I thought it was removed but it's good to hear that is not supposed to be the case. Because I immediately created a new default template for starting up Vectorworks I did not notice it is still there when creating a blank document. I just tried and when creating a blank document that origin icon is still there, it's not there with templates created in VW2018 and opened through File>new and then choose a template.

The odd thing is that when I open a VW2017 template through File>open (select file and have it converted to VW2018 format) the origin icon does show up.
When I open a VW 2018 template file using File>open the origin does not show up show up.

So it seems to be an issue with templates created in VW2018.

When opening a normal VW2017 file the origin icon appears, once saved as VW2018 and opened again after it has been closed the origin icon does not appear.

Another observation, once you have a document open where the origin icon is visible, it will then also be visible when other documents are opened after that file in the same VW session as long as that file is open. Once all files have been closed and a VW2018 fiie is opened again the origin icon no longer appears.

Files opened in VW (and still open) that do not show the origin icon and opened before the file that does show an origin icon will not have the origin icon appear afterwards, so it seems to be persistent with the document.

Using Ctr-9 works without issues.

I too confirm these observations.    This just started happening with me on 2018 SP1 also.