Wall type Line style

I am drawing walls using a wall type with multiple cavities (wood stud/brick veneer) The line style in the wall type is set to default style but will not change to the class default. Example: When moving a wall to the demolition class that has a line type dashed. The two outside lines of the wall change to dashed however the interior lines remain continuous.

Is there a way to remedy this condition?

Rick Bohl

Rick, I don't use wall cavities very often, so this could be incorrect, but... I think that each cavity's attributes are defined by the cavity definition, not the wall's class. In order to acheive what you want try deleting the cavities from the 'demo' walls, or create a new wall type definition for demo'd walls in which all the cavities have a dashed line.

Peter Cipes

Residential Designer

Ashland, Oregon

When I am in the "Edit Wall Style" dialogue box the cavity line style offers an option "default line style". What controls the default line style. It was my understanding that it was "by class" or controled by object via the attribute pallet. Neither method can I get to change the line style from solid to the class or attribute style.

Rick Bohl

Wall elements set to "default line style" take their color, lineweight and dash style from the attribute palette settings at the time the wall is created. When editing a wall's cavity lines, only color can be changed via the attribute palette, and lineweight and dash style of wall cavity lines have to be changed in the cavity edit dialog box (via the OIP).

However, if the class to which the wall is assigned has the "use at creation" button checked in its setup box, then the class style supercedes the attribute box defaults, except with respect to the weight and dash style of cavity lines.

Whew! This is way too complicated. The whole wall type method needs to be revamped so that there is a more intuitive and rational way to control and edit the way these objects look. We need something akin to the method for setting attributes for classes, but with control over all the elements of the object. Come to think of it, how about having a complex class type for walls, with a dialog box that includes other wall attribute controls in addition to the usual items found in the class edit box?

This could replace the "wall type" concept altogether. I.e., make it so that a named wall class defines all cavity, thickness, and height attributes. You want your wall to be a certain type - choose that by assigning a class. You want that wall type to be globally different - edit the class.

VW 10.5.1

[ 05-20-2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

P Retodo,

Thanks for the explanation. I was able to edit the cavity line type of a group of walls and accomplish the appearance I was after. I endorse the concept of the ?wall type class? this would obviate the other concern I have; that of trying to identify what wall type I used to create a wall when I want to duplicate it.

• 16 years later...

Here in 2020, this has never been fixed.  In 2D the components do not match the class style in the line type.  There is some override to the exterior wall lines that cover the dashed demo line type and I cannot find how to remove this outline.