Generate Scope Drawings from Wall Styles

TArchit

Is it possible to generate scope drawings from wall styles?

For instance make 'wall type 1' solid green and 'wall type 2' solid purple  in a plot file viewport, rather than showing either the whole wall detail or using the hide details function in black or white?

Thanks 

Edited by TArchit
2 hours ago, TArchit said:

Is it possible to generate scope drawings from wall styles?

For instance make 'wall type 1' solid green and 'wall type 2' solid purple  in a plot file viewport, rather than showing either the whole wall detail or using the hide details function in black or white?

Thanks 

Good question, a useful approach for certain purposes. I remember a project long time ago (manual drafting days) where the client's cost consultant complained about the cost of a particular wall type. Surely it was expensive, but there was perhaps 100 sqm of it in a large project and it did not require a separate contractor or anything like that. 

Fortunately I knew the project by heart to the smallest detail so was able to quickly quantify the problem and show it in proportion with a red Textmark. End of discussion.  

I take you have tried using classes and viewport class overrides? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?  In the attached file, I did the following:

1. In the Resource Manager, create a "Scope" Record with a "Scope Index" field.
  2. Use the Select Similar tool to select all walls of a particular style.
  3. Attach the Scope record and type an appropriate "Scope Index" value. Repeat this for other walls.
    This part is not exactly what you're looking for since you want the record and value to be attached to the wall style definition but it might suffice.
  4. Create a viewport and use the Data Visualization feature to display different Scope Index values with different colors.

DataVis on Walls.vwx

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Urbanist said:

Good question, a useful approach for certain purposes. I remember a project long time ago (manual drafting days) where the client's cost consultant complained about the cost of a particular wall type. Surely it was expensive, but there was perhaps 100 sqm of it in a large project and it did not require a separate contractor or anything like that. 

Fortunately I knew the project by heart to the smallest detail so was able to quickly quantify the problem and show it in proportion with a red Textmark. End of discussion.  

I take you have tried using classes and viewport class overrides? 

I have tried class overrides but it does not seem to work.

It is for a large project with over 30 wall types covering 1000s of linear meters so we really need a systematic parametric approach. 

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?  In the attached file, I did the following:

1. In the Resource Manager, create a "Scope" Record with a "Scope Index" field.
  2. Use the Select Similar tool to select all walls of a particular style.
  3. Attach the Scope record and type an appropriate "Scope Index" value. Repeat this for other walls.
    This part is not exactly what you're looking for since you want the record and value to be attached to the wall style definition but it might suffice.
  4. Create a viewport and use the Data Visualization feature to display different Scope Index values with different colors.

DataVis on Walls.vwx

Seems like an interesting approach. 

How do you set up the Record in the Resource Manager?

Thanks 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
  1. Set the "resource type" popup in the top of the Resource Manager to Record Formats.
  2. Right-click in the Resource Manager and choose the "Create Record Format" contextual menu command.
    A Create record Format dialog will appear.
  3. Name the format
  4. Click the New button to add a new Field to the format.
    An Edit Field dialog will appear.
  5. Name the field and give it an appropriate type and default.
  6. Click OK in the dialogs to exit them.
  7. Now that you have the record format, you can attach it to selected walls via the data tab in the Object Info palette.
3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?

Excellent!

I noticed the feature when it was introduced and made some small thematic mapping tests. Not quite what real GIS-programs do, but not bad either. It certainly did not occur to me that it can be extended like this, it opens entirely new possibilities. Pity I no longer do any real work. Well, retirement has its advantages, too: at least one does not have to deal with clients. 

Now, where do I keep the stupid dongle nowadays? I really must see what & how you've done!

Hmmm...I think what I would do is have a different class for each different "wall style" so that each of those classes then have a different colour.

In your viewport you would then turn off all component classes leaving the base class that shows the colour chosen for each wall style.

See pics

Having hundreds of different wall styles means hundreds of classes each with a different colour.  Bit of work at the begining but could be a standard for future projects that you wouldn't have to do again.

ScreenHunter_30 Oct. 02 14.18.jpg

ScreenHunter_32 Oct. 02 14.20.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it would be great if we could do the following:

- Recognise different wall styles within a document/viewport and display the description from the 'data' tab of the 'edit wall style' dialog

- Control the opacity of the visualisation to still show the wall, or at least an idea of its construction underneath the visualisation.

Ultimately, for our office, the most powerful use of data visualisation is exactly as the OP; scope drawings:

1434308094_Screenshot2020-03-16at17_52_26.thumb.png.7e25123ed2097f6cd65ea0fbebcd0e00.png

Whilst I understand and could set up the way of tagging walls via a record, I doubt I could get the rest of the office to do it. It would be so much simpler if the visualisation was pre-loaded into the template and the wall style descriptions were pre-written as part of an office-wide shared set of resources. All they then have to do is select the visualisation from the OIP and put the key/legend where ever they would like it.

I get that the workaround of creating a record is quicker than manually annotating over the walls, but for us where we're doing 1 house, maybe 2 or 3 storeys, people would say they could draw the boxes quicker.

• 2 years later...

_James

I agree, to create your clear and well organised plan with more automation would be welcome. In particular the facility to call up text from a notes database in, say, a wall style/data tab/description field. At the moment I do this manually, pasting such text copied from the notes database. Then of course I would have to update the wall style field manually if the notes database is changed. I guess use of IFC would be the way to do all this automatically....but I haven't explored that yet.

I am creating a version of your plan by, yes, tagging one of the several objects sharing the same wall style. The tag is  a custom record format which enables me to call information from the wall style/data tab/description field into a worksheet. I then add a key colour which is the same as the data visualisation colour for that wall style. So the worksheet is on a sheet layer beside the VP with data visualisations switched on....

....the refinement of yours I lack is the <100% opacity which shows wall detail through the DV colouring. But I will probably do this for 1:50 key plans and then show detail in 1:10 or 1:5 etc detail VP's.

Thank you for sharing.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi,

Data Visualization can get you pretty far in regards to showing various wall styles in solid colors.  There really is no limit as to how many wall styles can be accomodated.  You can also choose your colors or have the program use "Auto Color." BTW, this file is available on Vectorworks University for your perusal.

Wes

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 11.51.36 AM.png

Thanks @Wes Gardner,

This gets part of the job done (the "colouring in") but do you know of anyway to make generate the descriptions in an easier way than manually typing things out? Data Tag or similar? Maybe using the new graphic legends to generate a wall schedule, but then there likely isn't a way to link this to the colours of the data visualisation?