TArchit

Generate Scope Drawings from Wall Styles

Is it possible to generate scope drawings from wall styles?

For instance make 'wall type 1' solid green and 'wall type 2' solid purple  in a plot file viewport, rather than showing either the whole wall detail or using the hide details function in black or white?

Thanks 

Edited by TArchit

The alternative appears to be doing this manually i.e. overlaying colour in the design or annotation layer in a different classes to differentiate each wall type, which seems a bit nuts, especially on larger projects

Edited by TArchit

2 hours ago, TArchit said:

Is it possible to generate scope drawings from wall styles?

For instance make 'wall type 1' solid green and 'wall type 2' solid purple  in a plot file viewport, rather than showing either the whole wall detail or using the hide details function in black or white?

Thanks 

Good question, a useful approach for certain purposes. I remember a project long time ago (manual drafting days) where the client's cost consultant complained about the cost of a particular wall type. Surely it was expensive, but there was perhaps 100 sqm of it in a large project and it did not require a separate contractor or anything like that. 

Fortunately I knew the project by heart to the smallest detail so was able to quickly quantify the problem and show it in proportion with a red Textmark. End of discussion.  

I take you have tried using classes and viewport class overrides? 

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?  In the attached file, I did the following:

1. In the Resource Manager, create a "Scope" Record with a "Scope Index" field.
  2. Use the Select Similar tool to select all walls of a particular style.
  3. Attach the Scope record and type an appropriate "Scope Index" value. Repeat this for other walls.
    This part is not exactly what you're looking for since you want the record and value to be attached to the wall style definition but it might suffice.
  4. Create a viewport and use the Data Visualization feature to display different Scope Index values with different colors.

DataVis on Walls.vwx

1 hour ago, Urbanist said:

Good question, a useful approach for certain purposes. I remember a project long time ago (manual drafting days) where the client's cost consultant complained about the cost of a particular wall type. Surely it was expensive, but there was perhaps 100 sqm of it in a large project and it did not require a separate contractor or anything like that. 

Fortunately I knew the project by heart to the smallest detail so was able to quickly quantify the problem and show it in proportion with a red Textmark. End of discussion.  

I take you have tried using classes and viewport class overrides? 

I have tried class overrides but it does not seem to work.

It is for a large project with over 30 wall types covering 1000s of linear meters so we really need a systematic parametric approach. 

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?  In the attached file, I did the following:

1. In the Resource Manager, create a "Scope" Record with a "Scope Index" field.
  2. Use the Select Similar tool to select all walls of a particular style.
  3. Attach the Scope record and type an appropriate "Scope Index" value. Repeat this for other walls.
    This part is not exactly what you're looking for since you want the record and value to be attached to the wall style definition but it might suffice.
  4. Create a viewport and use the Data Visualization feature to display different Scope Index values with different colors.

DataVis on Walls.vwx

Seems like an interesting approach. 

How do you set up the Record in the Resource Manager?

Thanks 

1. Set the "resource type" popup in the top of the Resource Manager to Record Formats.
  2. Right-click in the Resource Manager and choose the "Create Record Format" contextual menu command.
    A Create record Format dialog will appear.
  3. Name the format
  4. Click the New button to add a new Field to the format.
    An Edit Field dialog will appear.
  5. Name the field and give it an appropriate type and default.
  6. Click OK in the dialogs to exit them.
  7. Now that you have the record format, you can attach it to selected walls via the data tab in the Object Info palette.

3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried using Data Visualization in a viewport?

Excellent!

I noticed the feature when it was introduced and made some small thematic mapping tests. Not quite what real GIS-programs do, but not bad either. It certainly did not occur to me that it can be extended like this, it opens entirely new possibilities. Pity I no longer do any real work. Well, retirement has its advantages, too: at least one does not have to deal with clients. 

Now, where do I keep the stupid dongle nowadays? I really must see what & how you've done!

Hmmm...I think what I would do is have a different class for each different "wall style" so that each of those classes then have a different colour.

In your viewport you would then turn off all component classes leaving the base class that shows the colour chosen for each wall style.

See pics

Having hundreds of different wall styles means hundreds of classes each with a different colour.  Bit of work at the begining but could be a standard for future projects that you wouldn't have to do again.

ScreenHunter_30 Oct. 02 14.18.jpg

ScreenHunter_32 Oct. 02 14.20.jpg