The hatch editor (brick hatch)

emilie

7 hours ago, emilie said:

Hi, 

I'm really struggling to understand the hatch editor

We all are! 

Years ago there was a 3rd party utility (Motivo?) that created hatches from patterns drawn normally. Obviously no-one wanted to pay for the functionality, so it disappeared. The user community can only blame itself for the lack of essential tools as there is no willingness to pay for anything; thus being at the mercy of Mr. Vectorworks, who does not do any real work with his software. 

Another sad story is the demise of the Marketplace of Vectordepot. Really good stuff for $10-$20 per item, but few buyers. 

• Like 1

Hatch editor is slightly harder to wrap your head around.

Basically - the hatch is composed of various repeated elements.  You will probably need 3 of these repeated elements - I believe that VW calls them Layers.  YOu will need 1 - that repeats the horizontal line - and then 2 to create the different runs. 

I would start by editing the current hatch.  See how changing the numbers and how they affect the hatch.   

One thing to look at is whether you are editing the polar or cartesian values.

Tile editor is easier, as you simply can draw what you want to repeat rather than having to ender dash and offset values, but it creates a much heavier element. 

• Like 1
On 9/30/2017 at 8:14 AM, Urbanist said:

We all are! 

Years ago there was a 3rd party utility (Motivo?) that created hatches from patterns drawn normally. Obviously no-one wanted to pay for the functionality, so it disappeared. The user community can only blame itself for the lack of essential tools as there is no willingness to pay for anything; thus being at the mercy of Mr. Vectorworks, who does not do any real work with his software. 

Another sad story is the demise of the Marketplace of Vectordepot. Really good stuff for $10-$20 per item, but few buyers. 

I think that VectorDepot had two problems:

1. Lack of general publicity, I don't even recall ever having heard about the Motivo plugin you mentioned so possibly less sales as a result for the plugins etc.

2. Lots of apparently outdated/old things even though they might still work, or for Mac only.

Maybe Vectorworks should set up a marketplace where developers can put up their plugins for sale and users can easily find them. I know some on this forum develop plugins but the publicity is quite scarce. Plugin sellers should at least have some guarantee that Vectorworks will not incorporate the functionality for the next e.g. 3 years and if they want to then buy the plugin. Otherwise some people may not even want to try to create commercial plugins.

E.g.  Bricscad has a marketplace where everyone can put their add-on on it without having to pay fees etc. There may still be add-on utilities/programs not listed but those are mostly custom or in-house add-on things. But for their users it is a quite convenient way to find the add-ons and even compare competing ones on price, features etc..

If Vectorworks would have something similar it might be good for Vectorworks as well as people will now they can add some specific missing functionality through a plugin/utility and may then decide to buy it whereas they might otherwise go elsewhere that does offer that functionality albeit at the expense of less convenience, higher cost or whatever reason.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

Urbanist,

it’s not just 3rd party resources, I would include training in there...

This is not about your training offers, but training can sometimes be quite expensive for what is "merely" basic training. I once followed a 2.5 day basic training costing 2,500 USD of which I already knew 60%-70%  of the but had to do the whole thing anyway for the remainder. Multiply that by the number of people who may need to follow that training and it adds up quickly. I've seen prices of 1,500 USD for a one day training, with a minimum required attendance of 15 people so obviously there is big money to be made in that area.

In big corporations they don't blink an eye for such costs, but for e.g. Vectorworks users who are often one or two people shops there really needs to be a very good justification to pay such prices.

And then again... publicity for affordable training options other than those provided by Vectorworks (distributors)  would go a long way too, for which a VW Marketplace might be good too.

• Like 1