How to make title block visible on all layers?

Guest AloraG

Guest AloraG

I've never used Autocad but I do remember when I first started using VectorWorks more than 15 years ago I was

able to create the title block on one layer, which would be visible on all other layers - plans, sections, details, etc.

even if the layers were at different scales. I've forgotten how to do this. Turning off unified view didn't help.

• 1 year later...

I have created a custom title block style but when I created a plan on my design layer, it is viewed on my sheet layer(title block) in a giant scale, and when I look at my design layer I can't see the title block. The design layer is at 1:48. the title block was created 1:1. how can I get both to align? I want to work on my design layer and see the title block.

Kirk did you try what Andy said?

On 9/30/2017 at 7:48 AM, Andy Broomell said:

I agree with Robert, but in the meantime, you either need to turn off Unified View under the View menu (which may cause other issues especially if working in 3D because then your layers won't rotate together), or under View < Unified View Options, uncheck "Ignore Layers with Different Scale."

But yes I also agree with Andy and Robert.

I unchecked it but nothing happened. when I am looking at my design layer the drawing is scaled correctly. When I look at my sheet layer with my title block, the title block is scaled and sized correctly but I see my design layer and it is huge. do I need to create a new design layer and import the  title block sheet layer? create a viewport?

Edited by kirk

So yes, my suggestion is to use viewports onto sheet layers. This has been the "new" standard way to set up drawings for some time now.

• The model is created on design layers and is documented via viewports onto sheet layers.
  • Title blocks are placed on sheet layers and drawing annotations are placed in the annotation space of the viewports.
  • Title blocks drawing names and numbers are linked via auto drawing configuration to sheet layer names and numbers.
  • Drawings sheets are published via the publish command on the file menu.

With this way of working you cannot view the title block from a design layer. This is a minor disadvantage compared to all the potential and versatility that viewports provide to your drawing presentation.

To do a basic set up:

• go to view > create viewport
  • go through the settings in the create viewport dialogue such as setting the desired design layer & class visibilities that you want to show on your sheet. Make sure you choose a sheet layer in the "Create on Layer" setting.
  • When you press "OK" you will get a sheet layer viewport which you can re scale, crop rotate etc.
  • Place a title block on the sheet.

There are a multitude of other settings you can employ but that gets you the basics.

Hope that is helpful.