subtracting solids- help!

NCSMITH

Hello all, 

Fairly new to VW and doing some tutorials to try and understand the 3D modelling tools a little better. I've got stuck and haven't managed to find any other posts which could solve the problem. 

I'm trying to use 'subtract solid' tool- I've highlighted the objects and the subtract solids option in model bar is greyed out- scene shot attached. Any tips? 

Many thanks! 

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.57.14.png

You can run the subtract command when objects are on different layers, at least it does not get greyed out for me if editing across layers is enabled, but it will generate an error message stating that the objects have to be on the same active layer.

It could be that one of the objects is not compatible for add/substract/etc. solids, e.g. because it is not a solid. Is the central object a solid or an open item in which you want to have holes? It is a bit hard to see on this image. It looks like a solid, but might not be. That could explain why the items are greyed.

Can you check if one of the objects is a NURBS object (or perhaps several NURBS objects)? I tried a few things where the options remained available but when one of the objects is a NURBS object then the items do  get greyed out in the menu.

Edited by Art V

I have had this problem and as said the 2 items have to be on the same layer or it could be something to do with the items being grouped.....you may have to ungroup and then select all in the items that have been ungrouped and then add solid command......I have had to do this on a couple of occasions.......hope I have explained this correctly

Hello all, 

Thank you for your responses. I've checked the following: 

- all objects are on the same layer

- objects are not grouped

- The central object is solid object (not nurbs)

I have the spotlight 2017 version of VW if that limits my access at all? 

Otherwise anything else to try? 

Thank you ! 

Hey all- I managed to get there by going back a few steps and re-drawing the squares. I think perhaps the shape I wanted to subtract from the solid was not 100% aligned on the face of the object and that could have been the issue. 

All sorted now but thank you so much to everyone for your tips! 

Have a great day :)

Good to hear you got it sorted out eventually. The odd thing is that even with non-touching objects the add/substract/etc. menu items were available in my case. Only with NURBS or the grouping as mentioned by Phil would grey it out. Are you perhaps using VW2018 or an older version?