Library update - Summary

AlanW

Question

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

If you don't know what's new, how would you know to look for it

Agree! +++++

This is a peculiar way to update a service provision and as you say, there are plenty of ways to deliver the notification automatically - maybe in the form of an excel file or at least something searchable.

Just a thought....Assuming this is routinely delivering an 'over-write' rather than an 'addition', maybe it's what gets withdrawn from the data we would also like to know about. Obviously if that was the case, pre-notification please!

Edited by Gadzooks

(not putting me off that easily ;))

Gotya Rob -- Surely still a goer though..

Would be good then if they were made available to download in two pieces of info. The user can choose:-

• First one (maybe for first download) of all info and split into pertinent sections. Fundamental, Architect etc..
  • Then a second one (listed by the date in the title) being just the updates info with both the 'add and subtract' details listed that would be reasonably easier to digest.

Maybe?...

I can understand that for 3rd party libraries it may be a bit cumbersome for Vectorworks to keep track of additions/removals in such libraries, but for libraries provided by Vectorworks I would assume there is something that keeps track of what is changed, e.g. like versioning for programming, so for those libraries it should then be possible to automatically generate a list of differences.

The next step could then be to ask manufacturers to provide some list of changes as well, e.g. because it would keep their (the manufacturers) clients happy if they know they can simply replace a library or that they should keep an older library if there are items they need to keep, or know about the shiny new stuff they added so that VW users can use them. After all, if an VW user doesn't know that shiny new thing exists then the chance of it getting used (and ordered) is smaller.

So I'm all for some kind of change list for libraries.

• Like 1

No Matter how many items are in the library someone had to put them in and one would logically think that someone has a record, else how would one know what to take the old ones out and replace them out etc.

Doesn't need to be a comprehensive list of every item maybe "We have added a new library of trees to this location......"

That would do me.

• Like 1