Kevin McAllister

VW2018 - Crashing When Launching - Mac

Question

I'm wondering if others are having issues with VW2018 when launching the software on a Mac. Overall I've found VW2018 quite stable but once and a while it starts to act a little weird. When this happens my tendency is always to quit and relaunch it. When I relaunch it VW often crashes mid-launch (usually when it says "Checking Activation"). Its not a force quit style crash, it actually brings down my whole machine and I have to use the power button to force a restart. It will repeat itself once or twice and then VW will launch normally again. I've never had this type of issue with an installation of VW before. I will likely have to re-install it. Its the first time I've used the migration manager to migrated anything from an earlier version so it may be related to that.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Kevin

7 answers to this question

No, not so far. I had 1 or 2 VW crashes. But VW 2018 started again inconspicuously.

And also some lags or similar here and then, which I also see as a typical VW users

"you better start again or it will crash soon" feeling.

But as far as I remember, I had no time for such games and went on - without problems.

Edited by zoomer

I am currently unable to use VW2018 due to constant crashing - seems particularly when using the eyedropper tool when matching properties.  I am waiting till SP1 comes out before I will consider rolling 2018 out to the rest of the office.  There are a lot of very annoying bugs in 2018, the biggest one being the title block fiasco.

Thank God I do not need title blocks :)

And did use the Eyedropper Tool too lately, but in VW 2017 only.

And even in VW 2017 I wasn't very successful with it.

When trying to disable Classes in a Viewport from a VW File Reference,

that was once a DWG import.

(generated once from VW ? because from landscape architect ?)

VW just did not find (or ignored ?) the Classes when you hovered over elements,

or even proposed totally different other Classes for deactivation.

So I would not wonder very much if such experiences aren't really VW 2018 related.

But no crashes with eyedropper tool in VW 2017.

I will try in VW 2018 again.

Edit :

But at least in VW 17+18, in my example,

eyedropper tool always shows at least 2 Class names over each other in that rectangle.

So that you can't even read what it says.

Edited by zoomer

I was finding VW2018 crashing when trying to update an unstyled wall to one from my library.  VW crashed every time I used the eyedropper - so I don't think it was dwg import based.  the drawings were 100% native Vectorworks.

Sorry, I was completely off - I misunderstood and meant the "Visibility Tool"

But I remember for the Eyedropper Tool that the Key Mouse Combination was not reliably and got ignored.

And that I only used it by explicitly opening the Tool by its icon, from then on.

But that also was 2017 and no crash.

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I have not seen other reports of this, nor have the Support folk I checked with.

After initial activation, the Checking Activation phase should just be reading from the certificates in the user folder, so MAYBE a permissions issue would cause that but in that case I would expect it to happen constantly and not just on occasion. I also would not expect any part f that check to be capable of locking up a whole machine. At that point I would recommend running Vectorworks from a brand new Admin account as a test to see if the same issues occur.

17 hours ago, JimW said:

I have not seen other reports of this, nor have the Support folk I checked with.

After initial activation, the Checking Activation phase should just be reading from the certificates in the user folder, so MAYBE a permissions issue would cause that but in that case I would expect it to happen constantly and not just on occasion. I also would not expect any part f that check to be capable of locking up a whole machine. At that point I would recommend running Vectorworks from a brand new Admin account as a test to see if the same issues occur.

Thanks Jim. I'll investigate that. This is the first time I've seen a version of VW bring down my entire machine that I can remember. I would have thought sandboxing would have prevented that.

Kevin