2017 Drawing Labels Slowing Down Sheet Layers

KatharineSmith

Question

Hi All,

We've been having an issue after changing to VW 2017 in which our sheet layer views are super slow, and I've gone through the troubleshooting guide for such issues but with little success.

For me it's bad but not too bad, but my coworker's computer is incredibly slow. Her computer has the same specs as mine, but with a 2.9GHz processor.

We're using Vectorworks for kitchen drawings, so everything is in 2D, but we also use a lot of images for appliances and veneers. We have our sheet layers set up for 9 sheets per layer (so 9 titleblocks, and up to 9 pages worth of viewports) which definitely doesn't help, and we could change this if we need to.

The thing that seems to be causing the slowness is the drawing labels. We've opened files that have only viewports and titleblocks that run fairly smoothly, but start lagging as soon as we start adding drawing labels. Is there a reason this might be the case? Has anyone else experienced this and found a good solution?

7 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Robert Anderson said:

OK, this is just a wild stab, but try going to the Document Preferences command (at File:Document Settings) and turning off "Use Automatic Drawing Coordination" in the first tab of that dialog. See if that setting makes any difference.

That doesn't seem to be an option unless it got moved to a different area. Document preferences below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 11.36.46 AM.png

1 hour ago, KatharineSmith said:

We've been having an issue after changing to VW 2017 in which our sheet layer views are super slow, and I've gone through the troubleshooting guide for such issues but with little success.

Does this mean you just upgraded to VW2017 from an earlier version? Are you running the most recent service pack (SP4)? I would go to Vectorworks>Preferences>Display and toggle the Navigation Graphics dropdown and see if any of the modes are better for you. In VW2017 some major changes were made to the Vectorworks Graphics Module that may be affecting your performance, especially if you have an older graphics card.

30 minutes ago, KatharineSmith said:

That doesn't seem to be an option unless it got moved to a different area. Document preferences below.

I notice in your signature that you're using VW2017 Fundamental, which doesn't include Automatic Drawing co-ordination. That's why the option is missing.

Kevin

44 minutes ago, Robert Anderson said:

Ah, are you using Vectorworks Fundamentals? It does not have that option.

It's non-sensical that Drawing Labels would have a performance impact. If you can send me (randerson_at_vectorworks.net) a sample file that exhibits the problem, I'll look into it.

When trying to mail you a recent file, I realized that almost all our files are 250+ MB each. I copied a simpler drawing and deleted a lot of our drawing that we have in our template file (I'm in the process of simplifying this to resolve the speed issues), added a bunch of viewports and drawing labels and had my co-worker re-test. Navigating the sheet layer was back to a reasonable speed, so deleting all the extra stuff definitely having an effect on the speed and brought the file size down by 50MB.

So I guess I should start by getting our files down to a more reasonable size. I did notice that when we switched from VW 2014 to VW2017, our file sizes almost doubled. There have definitely been instances in which a file is running somewhat smoothly until we start adding in drawing references, but maybe it's just an issue we're having with the extra resources for these massive files when you start adding elements to the sheet layer?

I'm going to make updating our template file a priority and copy some projects into the pared-down template file and see if that makes a big difference, and will update when I've tested it.

So, update on the situation - I deleted a bunch of things, and finished simplified all of our common blocks that were polygon heavy, and got our Template file down to 18.5MB (down from 213MB). I then copied a troublesome project over, and recreated one of the sheet layers. The sheet layer was much more manageable, but still fairly laggy when panning/zooming. I then deleted everything that we had at some point converted from a dxf - cooktop, fireplace, some sinks and furniture blocks - and now it's only got some mild lag issues.

Retesting my original suspicion, deleting the drawing references does still make a difference in that the lag when panning is almost not noticeable without the drawing references.

I'm now thinking about how I can import DXFs/DWGs without the issue of the thousands of polygons slowing my files down...