Modifying 2D/3D Polys - adding points

zoomer

Question

When I use any kind of Modify Tool Version and want to add additional Vertices to a Polygon.

I want to be able to grab a Polygons Segment everywhere along its Edge.

Not just at its Vertices

(Where there is no feedback in which direction the new Vertex is possible)

(Especially at the Ends of "open" Polygons, like Site Model Source Data, where the

result is super arbitrary)

or Midpoints only.

(Which may be very far away from where you focus on by your needed zoom level)

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

19 hours ago, zoomer said:

When I use any kind of Modify Tool Version and want to add additional Vertices to a Polygon.

I want to be able to grab a Polygons Segment everywhere along its Edge.

Not just at its Vertices

(Where there is no feedback in which direction the new Vertex is possible)

(Especially at the Ends of "open" Polygons, like Site Model Source Data, where the

result is super arbitrary)

or Midpoints only.

(Which may be very far away from where you focus on by your needed zoom level)

Yes, would be handy if adding control points in a polygon would work more consistently, for example always upwards or downwards in index direction, and with the little red direction arrow that you can turn on in Object Info being on by default when working with this tool, so that you know the direction. As it is now, the only predictable way is to use midpoints. 

• Like 2

Is there consistency?
I add a point to the end of a 3D polyline and it will randomly place a point just after the line (as I want) OR from the beginning of the line (which I do not want), but MOSTLY FROM the centre between the last two vertices (Which I cannot imagine why anyone would want).

The only thing I want is consistency. If the software behaves the same all the time then I will get used to it and adjust. I have no idea how they managed to program software to behave inconsistently to the same inputs. They must have used stacked random number generators to do it. Genius!!