Ability to paste objects as a Viewport without importing Classes

Christiaan

Question

I'd like an option to copy and paste objects from another file but without importing Classes.

The information would come in as an object that behaves like a Viewport, with its own Class visibilities. The difference being that you wouldn't need to create a Workgroup Reference, nor import all the data from a Design Layer when creating a Design Layer Viewport (both of which I find eventually weigh a VW file down).

When co-ordinating with engineer's drawings, for instance, I tend to copy and paste just the bits I need rather than creating a WGR and Viewport. The downside is it brings in their Classes. If they have a lot this can impact quite a bit on Class navigation.

Edited by Christiaan

5 answers to this question

Yes, SmartPaste, which I have to say is absolutely amazing. Best third party plugin since CameraMatch and WinDoor. Can't wait for the v2018 version.

But that's quite different to what I'm asking for here. I don't want to manage Classes at all. In fact we can already redirect Classes (without SmartPaste) by using the 'add prefix' option when importing DWGs into a Vectorworks file (before then pasting what you want into the file you're working on).

But I don't want their Classes in my file at all. And I don't want to put everything on None Class because I still want to see their colours and still control Class visibilities.

Call it a "Self-contained Viewport".

Edited by Christiaan

That would also be useful to have, now that I understand exactly what you are looking for. That too would be quite useful to me as I sometimes need to refer to another project for some specific bits and pieces, so having it right in my drawing without addtional clutter and then delete when finished is easier than switching between drawings.

• Like 1