Workflow advice needed re: Replace with Active Symbol Button in OIP being changed to Replace Lighting Device

Neil Barman

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Spotlight users, I have a workflow question for you...

I have a Spotlight user who has pointed out that the previous (v2017 and prior) "Replace with Active Symbol" button in the OIP for a Lighting Device has been changed to "Replace Lighting Device" in v2018. In previous versions, the button simply swapped the active lighting device in the Resource Manager for the currently selected Lighting Device. This meant that you had to select your new Lighting Device in the RM first, then select the placed Lighting Device you wanted to swap out, then click the "Replace with Active Symbol" button.

Now, in v2018, the "Replace Lighting Device" button in the OIP brings up the Resource selector... No more need to pre-choose the new Lighting Device in the RM before you press the button to swap it out. 

However, this change or operation obviously requires a slight change (or perhaps a reversal) of workflow, so it's taking the user some getting used to.

Q: Is there still a way to replace Lighting Devices as it was previously done, by pre-choosing them in the RM and "pushing" them to the already-placed Lighting Devices?

Thanks in advance!

-Neil 

I am still on 2017, but this sounds to me like it is a much better solution. I never understood why it is (or was) that you could only replace a lighting device with the active symbol. To me, that caused a stop in workflow as I had to go in and make a fixture active, then deselect the insertion tool, select the fixture in question and then select replace with active from the OIP. It sounds like you developed a workflow to address this which is good. I have always found it clunky. 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:48 AM, scottmoore said:

I am still on 2017, but this sounds to me like it is a much better solution. I never understood why it is (or was) that you could only replace a lighting device with the active symbol. To me, that caused a stop in workflow as I had to go in and make a fixture active, then deselect the insertion tool, select the fixture in question and then select replace with active from the OIP. It sounds like you developed a workflow to address this which is good. I have always found it clunky. 

I find this new method more time consuming as the mini resource manager opens each time and I have to find the unit I'm wanting. Btw, you didn't have to deselect the insertion tool. Just click on the replace button. Speaking for myself, my workflow involved having the resource manager/browser open right next to my drawing window and in the symbol folder I wanted to use most. Double click on the unit to make it active and replace as needed. Let's say I place a focus point and then place 8 lights (all 50°) around it at various different locations. Turn on the beams and replace as needed with the appropriate barrelled unit.

Another peeve is the lack of folder organization past a parent level. I have a folder for Moving lights. In that folder I have all the movers we own, let's say 8 versions. I also have two more folders which contain the stock from two local rental houses and their respective dozens of units. When I open the replace unit mini browser, when I go to my Mover folder, I can't not see all the rental house fixtures when I'm in my mover folder. I'd prefer to have those stay hidden until I click on those folders.

Sorry for this small rant.

Happy drafting.

Scott