U Address in 2018

td4stage

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@td4stageU Address is only shown when "Automatically assign Universe" is selected in Spotlight Preferences.

When "Automatically assign Universe" is enabled "U Address" will be shown and the "Universe" and "U Address" fields will be disabled.

These values will be automatically calculated based on the absolute address entered in the "Address" filed.

• Like 1

I'm confused as to how this works with Lightwright though.  John McKernon gave a set of instructions which I won't include all of here, but the last few steps (underlines added by me) are:

13. Set the options in Vectorworks to match those outlined in red here [the illustration shows selecting the "Universe / U Address" button in the "Options" tab of Lightwright, VW Data Exchange] This tells Lightwright to look at the Universe and U Address fields, and to ignore anything you type into the Address field.

14. Choose the .xml file created in step #9 and Lightwright will read the data from the Universe and U Address fields. It will automatically fill the Address field in Vectorworks with correct entries in universe format.

15. Click back on Vectorworks, it will read in the Address field changes that Lightwright made.

16. Save both the .lw6 and .vwx files.

From now on, edit only the Universe and U Address fields in Vectorworks. Do NOT edit the Address field in Vectorworks, Lightwright will take care of that. 

So if U Address only shows up when you ask Vectorworks to "Automatically assign Universe," but John is telling us not to touch the Address field and only edit the Universe and U Address fields, well, maybe I'm just tired at the end of a long day but it seems like something isn't quite lining up correctly?  Or is it just me...

Thanks

On 9/26/2017 at 8:47 AM, klinzey said:

@td4stageU Address is only shown when "Automatically assign Universe" is selected in Spotlight Preferences.

When "Automatically assign Universe" is enabled "U Address" will be shown and the "Universe" and "U Address" fields will be disabled.

These values will be automatically calculated based on the absolute address entered in the "Address" filed.

Thanks Kevin.  Is there somewhere that more thoroughly discusses the pros/cons to either manually or automagically assigning Universe?

• 1 year later...

@Jeff B You can always add the U Address field to your OIP by going to Spotlight preferences, lighting device and lighting device parameters. You can add or take away most of what you see in your OIP. You can do that without having the automatically assign universe feature enabled.

I am having the same issue with lightwright btw. I use the auto number in vectorworks to assign Universe and address at the same time by clicking a chain of units. However when I follow the lightwright instructions it puts a 1 in the universe column on lightwright although there are many different universes displaying correctly in vectorworks. I guess I just have to change the way I address and display patch in vectorworks to get it to communicate to lightwright. 

Did drawing in vectorworks with the U Address field solve your issue?