Saved View causes unwanted exit from group

line-weight

Question

I use saved views as an easy way to switch visibility classes on and off.

This I do by setting up the saved view to not restore viewpoint, layers, zoom etc - just to adjust class visiblity.

This generally works fine.

However, when I am 'inside" a group (ie. I have double clicked it to edit it) and I try to use one of these saved views to switch off some classes, I am thrown out of the group and have to re-enter it to carry on editing.

Is this intended behaviour? I find it a bit annoying.

To demonstrate, see attached file. There are two objects, one in class 1 and one in class 2. The two objects are grouped together. I have two saved views, one to hide class 2 and one to show it. You can see it works fine outside of the group. But if you enter the group to edit it, and select one or other of these saved views, you are exited from it. Same happens in 2017 or 2018.

svexample.vwx

Edited by line-weight

7 answers to this question

Unfortunately I cannot open the drawing to check the saved view settings, but I can confirm the behavior in VW2017 SP4 after setting up a quick draft. Though I never used saved views when editing a group, so I can't confirm whether this is new or existing behaviour.

Somehow I think that using saved view while editing a group was not on the mind of the programmers, so I can imagine this use case was not implemented and it would require a feature request.

A question out of curiosity, why would you change to another saved view after getting into edit group mode instead of before getting into edit group mode? I can think of one or two situations where that might be useful but that is based on what I'm doing in VW.

1 hour ago, Art V said:

A question out of curiosity, why would you change to another saved view after getting into edit group mode instead of before getting into edit group mode? I can think of one or two situations where that might be useful but that is based on what I'm doing in VW.

I can tell you what I'm using it for right now which has highlighted the issue for me. I have some custom made wardrobes all drawn in 3d. They are made up of a mixture of simple extrudes for the shelving etc plus some mechanical components (eg. hinged/lifting clothes rails) for which I've imported models from elsewhere. The models for those components are complex, and they cause me problems with the push pull tool which I've raised in another thread. So I have a class that I can use to switch those components on and off to allow me to edit the other parts with the p-p tool.

As it's a large amount of built-in stuff I have it grouped into sections, again for ease of editing. So I am quite often "within" a group editing it, and want to show/hide those complex components without exiting and re-entering.

Additionally, I use visibility classes to show certain components in closed/open or lowered/raised positions etc. Useful to be able to flip between those, again without having to exit any groups I'm working in.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, JimW said:

Switching to a Saved View that has the view/zoom/pan render mode options disabled but Class/Layer visibilities altered should not kick you back out of an Edit Group or other container view in my opinion. I will submit this as a bug. 

Thanks Jim, I suspected it might be a bug as I had everything disabled except class visibility and it still kicked me out of the group edit, but I wasn't sure if it was behaving as designed until you confirmed.

Edited by Art V
51 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I can tell you what I'm using it for right now which has highlighted the issue for me. I have some custom made wardrobes all drawn in 3d. They are made up of a mixture of simple extrudes for the shelving etc plus some mechanical components (eg. hinged/lifting clothes rails) for which I've imported models from elsewhere. The models for those components are complex, and they cause me problems with the push pull tool which I've raised in another thread. So I have a class that I can use to switch those components on and off to allow me to edit the other parts with the p-p tool.

As it's a large amount of built-in stuff I have it grouped into sections, again for ease of editing. So I am quite often "within" a group editing it, and want to show/hide those complex components without exiting and re-entering.

Additionally, I use visibility classes to show certain components in closed/open or lowered/raised positions etc. Useful to be able to flip between those, again without having to exit any groups I'm working in.

Yes, that is more or less what I was thinking of what could be your situation. In that case it would indeed be quite useful to do this without getting kicked out every time. Though most of the time my objects in a comparable setup are not in a group, so that is why it hasn't really affected me.