Smart Points/Internal Origin

markdd

Question

11 answers to this question

I noticed in 2017 that after moving a page and it was no longer possible to use the internal origin as a smart point, regardless of the user origin being the same as the internal origin or not. In other words, what you may perceive as snapping to the internal origin may actually have been the page center. Unless missed something in 2017.

Did you perhaps move your page?

• Like 1

That sounds like the smart point doesn't use the page center for some reason, because when I move the page it does not use 0,0 of the user origin nor the internal origin as a smart point in VW2017.

Like you I don't vere from the original origin if possible and also leave the page center at the internal origin, but it is useful to be able to snap to 0,0 aka page center with smart points when setting out some reference items. So this would be a bit of an issue, though it can be solved in my case by e.g. placing a circle with its center at 0,0 to serve as a reference for smart points.

Edited by Art V

Out of curiousity, did you have the show internal origin marker option checked in the VW preferences>Edit tab? I just noticed it when setting the VW2018 options and when turned on (was turned off in my VW2017) so far all snaps/smartpoints do seem to work as long as there is no other object with a snap point on top of it. If the latter is the case then it will show the snap point of the object instead of internal origin as it is the topmost overlapping snap point.

30 minutes ago, Art V said:

Out of curiousity, did you have the show internal origin marker option checked in the VW preferences>Edit tab? I just noticed it when setting the VW2018 options and when turned on (was turned off in my VW2017) so far all snaps/smartpoints do seem to work as long as there is no other object with a snap point on top of it. If the latter is the case then it will show the snap point of the object instead of internal origin as it is the topmost overlapping snap point.

I always have the internal origin showing. The issue isn't snapping to the origin. That works. You can't acquire it as a smart point - the little red box that appears when you hover over a point or tap the T key, depending on your preferences.

Kevin

59d682e5b828d_ScreenShot2017-10-05at12_05_05PM.png.70087c4537d14982a61c551d00dcda37.png

3 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I always have the internal origin showing. The issue isn't snapping to the origin. That works. You can't acquire it as a smart point - the little red box that appears when you hover over a point or tap the T key, depending on your preferences.

The smart points worked for me for acquiring the internal origin as long as there is no other snapping point right on top of it , at least in top plan mode as Zoomer mentioned. In 3D view the internal origin marker does not show.