PC SPEC For VectorWorks & Vision

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That is one beautiful build! Remember to buy a case and a cpu cooler! For air, I fancy the hyper 212 evo coolers, I've used them extensively, and for liquid I like the 240/280mm corsair all in one coolers for ease of installation. 

I'd also recommend looking at the corsair modular power supplies, way cheaper and a better rating. 

Price check this stuff on newegg as well, I'm seeing 1080Ti's run about $800  as opposed to the 1200 you have above. That ram seems a bit steep in price as well (plus, that benefit you'll see in VW but I personally haven't seen anything that I needed more than my 32gb for). But you should be able to find some awesome G.SKILL kits of 64gb for....600-700-ish? And I LOVE gskill ram, it works great, you'll probably get a faster speed too. 

In fact, price check all of your stuff, I found that same ASrock board on newegg for way less: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157776&cm_re=x299-_-13-157-776-_-Product

On that note, i'm not 100% sure about asrock stuff yet, they haven't been around that long. I usually go with ASUS or MSI boards, but thats just my opinion.

Hope that all helps!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Second on Asus boards here as well. They average a little more $-wise but they tend to be worth it in their UEFI options and compatibility.

Hyper 212 EVO is the best bang for the buck air cooler at the moment and has been for quite awhile, but I would also agree with the Corsair all in ones if you want to go for liquid cooling.

• Like 1

You may want to take a look at the new Intel i7 8th generation desktop CPU's (8xxx instead of you 7xxx series).
I agree on Asus boards and also video cards, MSI is usually quite good too.

Depending on how many other software programs you have installed I'd go for a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD instead of 250 GB, also because the ones having a capacity of over 250/300 GB are faster in general. How much of that speed increase you will notice is something else.

If reliabiity is your main concern for a SSD drive, then take a look at the Transcend SSD370S SSD 1TB drive. It's endurance write spec is rated at 1180 terabytes, well beyond the majority of the other SSD drives. It is also slightly faster than the 250 GB Samsung EVO.

Or... if you have the money, get the new HP Z8 workstation maxed out with 56 cores, 3 TB of RAM and 48 TB of harddisk storage. It will be costing quite a bit above your listed items though. (CPu's alone 10,000+ USD each and you need two of them).

Now if only we could convince Vectorworks finance department to get such a maxed out Z8 for Jim for testing Vectorworks 2019 in exchange for spilling some beans to us very early on new features. :P