Fill depth at a location?

Urbanist

Not that I, as a retiree, would have much use for this, but out of curiousity: how many real landscape designers doing real work ("industry experts" at VW offices obviously do not qualify) would want to be able to determine the fill depth at a location, or for that matter, cut? That is: the level difference between existing and proposed terrain. The issue that got me thinking about this is a near-by building site, where the root areas of existing trees are liberally filled. We used to stipulate in our specifications the maximum fill in such situations, but of course had no feasible way to determine whether that was possible, especially in the old manual drafting days, grading plans coming from engineers, who would not give a hoot. 

The functionality may be somewhere in Landmark (I've not used it much in the last years and not to do real work), but if not, it might be possible to write a VectorScript tool or PIO for the purpose, perhaps even so that the PIO would double-shift as a proposed terrain modifier. 

Ideally, there would be a built-in option to graphically illustrate the cut & fill depths in the same manner as one does slope analyses. With an automatic legend this time. 

Edited by Urbanist
MIssing word added

Hadn't thought about it, but point by point + or - X.X feet would be a nice tool.  

VW does have a CF analysis, with shaders similar to slope, but if you could call out individual points contractors staking out in the field would love it.  Of course, for real precision work, they would probably still stick to surveyed levels. 

17 hours ago, Rossford said:

VW does have a CF analysis, with shaders similar to slope,

It does?

Well,  there we go: I haven't used the DTM in detailed design for years, probably not since VW 9 or 10, so I guess I don't qualify  as a real practitioner. If this functionality existed in those distant years, I have completely missed it. 

I'll put my VectorScript pencil back to the pen box, then. Fortunately I did not waste time sharpening it. 

Thanks!

Edited by Urbanist
Typo fixed