Creating Custom Title Block Borders

So by reading this forum I have figured out how to use the new Title Block tool, but I haven't been able to figure out how to create my own custom title block border that I can open in multiple files. I can create a new border, import my saved graphic, add all custom project data fields I want included, and then link each piece of text to the proper title block data. Presto, I have a working title block...in that one document. I really don't want to have to create the custom data fields in every new file, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to import my already ready to use title block. I have tried saving the updated graphic and importing that, which almost works except it fails to import the records so it becomes a bunch of empty, un-linked text fields. Am I missing a step here?

You have to EXPORT the custom title block from the base file to the new, open file or to the libraries/user folder/defaults/sheet border title blocks in order to retain the linked text fields (VW 2016&2017)

Right Click on your  custom sheet border symbol in the resource browser and choose export, scroll down till you find the open file you want, select and export. Or export it to your User Library and you should be able to select it from the drop down menu when you place a sheet border in a new file.

Hope this helps...Tried to "screen shot" the pop-up windows but they disappear when I switch applications..

• 2 weeks later...

Also having issues with this. Do we create the Title Blocks in the same way as VWorks 2017 and earlier versions or is this a total re-work on how we are to create our custom blocks?

I would usually layout the page then create a record format to interact with the objects on the sheet. Is it still the same here? The new tool looks great just a guide would be handy for creating custom sheets / title blocks.

Thank you.

Louis

this is a total rework. You might find it easier to start with a standard Vectorworks title block and then edit it. If you start with a standard title block it will already have all the links and connections in place and then all you need to do is to change the graphic style of the title block to suit your criteria.

I've also found it easier if I choose one of the pre-created title Block styles then use the resource manager to edit that style. When you change the title block style in the resource manager all the title blocks in the drawing will update.

• Like 1