VW2018: "Set Working Plane" tool can't find faces on symbols.

line-weight

Question

I'm finding that I can't get the "set working plane" tool to find faces that are within symbols.

I don't think this was a problem in 2017.

Attached is a screen recording. I've simply got two extrudes but one is within a symbol. You can see that while the SWP tool finds faces on the "normal" extrude without any problem, behaviour on the one within the symbol is erratic. It seems to be able to find faces when I hover near the bottom, but further up it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. And it can't find the top face at all.

(NB this is whilst outside of the symbol. If I double click to go into and edit the 3d symbol, then it works fine)

symbolwp.mov

Edited by line-weight

6 answers to this question

Happy to say that this time I am not experiencing this and all is behaving normally. I have, however just done a clean install of VWX 2018 having completely deleted the earlier downloaded version, which was behaving a little erratically. I didn't migrate my old workspace so what I have is "straight out of the box". Another user @digitalcarbonhad this issue earlier in the week and came to the conclusion that might have something to do with large file sizes.

Might be related to this or not, but even in 2017 sometimes I find that the Set Working Plane tool randomly can't "see" certain objects arbitrarily. Very frustrating.

Sometimes fixes include cutting and pasting in place, sending objects to front, and/or restarting Vectorworks.

But there certainly might be a separate issue related to objects within symbols as you're experiencing.