Revisiting walls

I hope you can see the pdf.  This form doesn't really give graphic feedback on that detail.

In keeping with my above average Neanderthal gene count, I have never adopted the wall tool, and thus the hybrid approach.  I would if it looked like I would get better drawings.  As I sometimes do when a new release is out, I take a look at the wall tool, noting that it has evolved, and ask whether it has become something I could use.  I usually bump into something that frustrates.  Then I go back to my old ways.

Case in point is the attached.  I put a window in a wall.  I used one of the pre-defined wall types.  That part is not so bad, except that there is a thin line at every change in direction that roughly corresponds to one of the stud lines.  That has no meaning but it is a line.  That's not really ok.

But the thing that really gets me is the sill.  In the options for the window there are two outer options (show sill, don't) and three inner options, timber, stone and I think masonry.  I chose timber.  Have you ever seen a sill that looks like this?  No exterior horns, no interior jamb trim overlap?  It is showing lines that have no meaning.

Over the years I've watch the response to objections like these.  The result is that a window now has what, 4 dozen different parameters?  A window that tries to look right but doesn't, and has a large amount of turning the dials complexity is not just no better than a simple abstract symbol (a wall cut and a line for the glass) it is worse.

As an architect I do not want builders looking at my drawings and snickering.  I expect them to have pride and care in their work and not make little boo boos everywhere.  I undermine my right to have that expectation if my drawings are comical.

SILL2.pdf