Optimising a symbol

Andrew Davies

Question

Hi all

I like the attached symbol which I downloaded from the VSS library - but it is killing my drawing (I have about 400 chairs).  Just opening a dialogue box causes them to redraw.

Any tips on optimising it?  

I noticed the feet are a Mesh - each at 7,500 polys (so 30,000 all together) - guess that's not good!

What about the generic solid?  Are they "expensive"

Any way of knowing?

As it came from the VSS library, I assumed it would be VWX friendly.....

Andrew

Chair_Symbol.vwx

11 answers to this question

The generic solids should be ok. It looks like maybe the top of the chair was created using the Subdivision tool and then converted to a generic solid. My first instinct says the feet are the issue. I tend to avoid meshes completely unless there's a specific reason not to. Why not create a copy of your file, edit the symbol, delete the feet and just see if it seems happier. That should tell you if they are an issue.

Kevin

• Like 1
Just now, Samuel Derenboim said:

Theres another great feature that VW snuck in this update which is a lifesaver. 

When selecting an object, convert it to a mesh. Once converted use modify->simplify mesh.

This thing is great because it reduces polycount right inside VW. Hope this helps.

Definitely a useful feature, but I still wouldn't recommend having a mesh in a symbol that's going to be used 400 times in a file. VW is just way to inefficient with meshes.

Kevin

3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Definitely a useful feature, but I still wouldn't recommend having a mesh in a symbol that's going to be used 400 times in a file. VW is just way to inefficient with meshes.

Kevin

Kevin, 

Would it help to reconvert back to generic solid after poly reduction? Just curious, what makes the object inefficient? Right now I'm looking to make libraries, so this would be a great help for the future.

Sam

3 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

Kevin, 

Would it help to reconvert back to generic solid after poly reduction? Just curious, what makes the object inefficient? Right now I'm looking to make libraries, so this would be a great help for the future.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure of the answer to that question. My thoughts about meshes are based on long term experience and from other threads in these forums. Its likely that a mesh converted to a generic solid is still not as efficient as rebuilding the geometry using solids or NURBS but I couldn't say for sure without some testing.

Kevin

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure of the answer to that question. My thoughts about meshes are based on long term experience and from other threads in these forums. Its likely that a mesh converted to a generic solid is still not as efficient as rebuilding the geometry using solids or NURBS but I couldn't say for sure without some testing.

Kevin

In that case I'll experiment. What do  you supposed would be a good indicator, file size? or ease of navigation? I mean the two are interrelated, but still, don't know if a same sized mesh would operate the same sized (polycount) generic solid or nurbs object for that matter. nurbs are subdivided, so I don't know how that would reduce poly count.

Thanks for the heads up either way, i'll experiment, see where that takes me.

Edited by Samuel Derenboim
3 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

In that case I'll experiment. What do  you supposed would be a good indicator, file size? or ease of navigation? I mean the two are interrelated, but still, don't know if a same sized mesh would operate the same sized (polycount) generic solid or nurbs object for that matter. nurbs are subdivided, so I don't know how that would reduce poly count.

Thanks for the heads up either way, i'll experiment, see where that takes me.

Part of it is that VW handles polygons in its own objects differently (solids, NURBS, Subdivision objects). Often its controlled by the conversion resolution preferences (both 2d and 3d). Anything VW generates polygons for is more efficient. Anything you've set the number of polygons for by conversion seems to slow things down (imported meshes or objects converted to meshes are examples) if if the number of polygons is relatively small. I suspect it may be related to the math component of VW which is still single core.

Kevin