How would you model this corner pier?

Christiaan

What is the brick size? One of the first real jobs I did as a young student was to dimension a brick facade. It was sort of fun because a couple of years earlier I had worked on a building site as a brickies' brick & mortar boy and spent a lot of time selecting bricks of suitable size as a foundation pour had not gone exactly right and six storeys worth of both oversized and undersized bricks were needed. The bricklaying work was done from hanging platforms that had to be manually lifted by means of winch levers in 5 or 6 frames. One of my duties was to receive loads of bricks and mortar, lifted by a crane with no direct sight to most locations, yelling instructions to the crane operator via a walkie-talkie from between the incoming load and building wall. Probably an illegal situation, but in 1972 no-one cared too much about occupational safety. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Bricks are 215 x 112.5, so dimension would actually be 327.5

Lucky you: the dimensions are easy. In my time I had to deal with 270 x 130 which caused interesting overall dimensions. Later they developed a new size 285 x 85, which gave a 100 mm grid, when laid as 1/3 but the result was horribly ugly.

I guess would lay virtual bricks but nevertheless do my calculations. Also, in my short time on the building site the supervisor liked to save on mortar so should there have been piers like that, they might have been smaller than designed. To be honest, I liked saving mortar, too, because receiving the mortar container to the platform was really scary; a 300 kilogram payload of mortar swinging towards you several times a day was not fun.