window and door catalog issues

Terrance

Question

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Terrance,

Our default content for doors and windows with attached catalogs all have the Catalog Item "by style". This means all instances of the style will use the same Catalog item. The recommended workflow is to edit the style, rename the style to something like "Window A", and choose the catalog item for the style. This way, all instances of "Window A" will use the same item from the catalog. However, if you wish to allow instances of a given style to use different catalog items, you can edit the style and set the catalog item "by instance". This will then allow each instance to use a different catalog item via the "Window Settings" dialog (or via the Object Info palette).

Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Best regards,

-Matt

13 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi Terrance,

Our default content for doors and windows with attached catalogs all have the Catalog Item "by style". This means all instances of the style will use the same Catalog item. The recommended workflow is to edit the style, rename the style to something like "Window A", and choose the catalog item for the style. This way, all instances of "Window A" will use the same item from the catalog. However, if you wish to allow instances of a given style to use different catalog items, you can edit the style and set the catalog item "by instance". This will then allow each instance to use a different catalog item via the "Window Settings" dialog (or via the Object Info palette).

Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Best regards,

-Matt

Matt, any new ideas on how to update and create new catalog items? I can't seem to extract or eliminate the information for new catalogs, let alone modify them in excel. I do not know how to export the file so that the format will be the same as the catalog txt file. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

Matt, any new ideas on how to update and create new catalog items? I can't seem to extract or eliminate the information for new catalogs, let alone modify them in excel. I do not know how to export the file so that the format will be the same as the catalog txt file. Any ideas?

Samuel,

Each row represents a catalog item in the excel file. You should be able to delete and add them as needed. When finished, "Save As" in excel and choose to save as a "Tab Delimited Text". NOTE: You may need to restart VW in order to see the new catalog data.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:51 PM, Terrance said:

Anyone else having issues with the window and door catalogs? For example I can select the marvin window catalog in the resource broswer but when i'm in the window settings dialog the catalog button can't be selected.   

Yes, I'm seeing it too.

Catalog & settings are all greyed out - is there a setting somewhere to unlock these. It's almost like I'm using the wrong Workspace, but it's the same in Designer & Architect workspaces directly from the installation without Migration.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 4.14.35 PM.png

Edited by bcd
3 hours ago, bcd said:

Yes, I'm seeing it too.

Catalog & settings are all greyed out - is there a setting somewhere to unlock these. It's almost like I'm using the wrong Workspace, but it's the same in Designer & Architect workspaces directly from the installation without Migration.

The reason the catalog parameters are all grayed is because the catalog item is By Style. This means you need to edit the style to select a catalog item and all instances of that style will be set to that item. If you wish to have each instance to have the ability to use a different catalog item, edit the style and change the catalog item to By Instance (by toggling the By Style/instance button by the Select from Catalog icon button). This will then enable those control in the Settings dialog for each instance.

Oh - this is surprising & I would offer a little opaque, but thanks Matt for showing me the light. I would have expected: Window Tool, Select Catalog item & Rename  Style or Select existing Style. Especially since the catalog button is right there up top with the first insertion

A single Window Style called Andersen Windows seems very improbable - perhaps it would be more useful if it defaulted to Andersen Windows-Style 1 or the Andersen Windows - Model number

For anyone else struggling with this here's how it works in practice (open to correction if there's a simpler way)

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 7.10.25 AM.png

Edited by bcd
29 minutes ago, bcd said:

I would have expected: Window Tool, Select Catalog item & Rename  Style or Select existing Style. Especially since the catalog button is right there up top with the first insertion

A single Window Style called Andersen Windows seems very improbable - perhaps it would be more useful if it defaulted to Andersen Windows-Style 1 or the Andersen Windows - Model number

Yes. This workflow could be improved upon. The recommended workflow for your Andersen Window example would be to rename the Style (to something more meaningful) as soon as you import it. I'd like to look into ways to help promote this workflow in the future.