Removing jaggy bits from model!

lisagravy

The DTM engine has had quite a few quirks with valleys ans swales, the algorithm does not look ahead, but connects closest points in a non-topographic way. I've had a few terrains that VW simply failed to model correctly. The most disappointing one was about partial filling and landscaping  a former open-pit mine which would have been a quite significant project, especially fee-wise and also because there might have been several similar ones. I even considered getting AutoCAD, but with no required skills or  machinery, just had to give up and decline to tender. Thank you, Mr. Vectorworks! 

On 9/20/2017 at 0:30 PM, lisag said:

I'm glad it's not just me, though am frustrated and disappointed that there's not an easy fix for this? We had assumed using landmark for topographic modelling would be straightforward....... :/

Unfortunately terrain modeling is anything but straightforward. As someone from the old school I like to think new landforms with contours. Luckily I do a bit of programming and was able to create a semi-satisfactory contour tool. It of course does ot help with the problems of the DTM engine itself. All these pads and what have you may be fine for architects who deal with small houses on topographically simple sites, but they are next to useless in landscape architecture. Not sure about garden design, never done that. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/20/2017 at 5:30 AM, lisag said:

I'm glad it's not just me, though am frustrated and disappointed that there's not an easy fix for this? We had assumed using landmark for topographic modelling would be straightforward....... :/

Would you mind sending me that file? The Site Model on it's own in a test file would be perfectly fine. Feel free to direct message it to me if you do not want to post it publicly.