Cannot download 2017 libraries

Mattheng

Question

I have been running 2016 over 2017 because I kept hitting trouble with textures and load times with 2017.

I have finally decided to go with 2017 for a small project because I am on sp4 and 2018 is now coming out.

I cannot use the Vectorworks or the subscription libraries because I keep getting this message

59c12eb1c37eb_ScreenShot2017-09-19at15_49_21.png.c14c760639082ccd9c8a647c28d844c9.png

I have set all the permissions to read/write for the Vectorworks application folder and the Application Support folder that iOS hidden.

I can now update the subscription libraries when I log on but apparently I cannot use them

Beyond that I cannot find anything to tell me how to fix this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Matt

8 answers to this question

Art,

thanks for the reply but 

a) I am on a Mac and

b) I am running the latest SP.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

At the moment I am missing a very large part of the functionality of the program and there doesn't seem to be much hope of fixing it.

2017 could be the first release of VW for a while that I have never used in the field at this rate...

Yours in disappointment,

Matt

Did you try the repair permissions options?
The issue should be fixed as per SP2, so repair permissions might solve it, otherwise you could try renaming your VW user folder so that it will create a new one. If that does not work then copy the contents of the renamed user folder back and call support as the issue for you might then have a different cause. Other than that I can't think of any other solutions that might work on a Mac as my last Mac was in the days of OS9.

Art,

I have checked all the permissions and they look fine. They weren't but I fixed them.

I could not update the libraries when I was logging on before, that is no longer.a problem.

This is, however pretty terminal. VW2016 worked pretty much flawlessly, 2017 seems slow, buggy and frankly gimmicky if I can't get it to work.

Can anyone shed some light on this, I have horrible feeling that it's going to be SNAFU on2018 if I don't get this fixed now as 2018 is just going to be a development of 2017..

Anyone...?

Matt 

Hi @Mattheng

In my experience, when set up correctly and running on adequate hardware Vectorworks 2017 performs well. (Following best-practice always helps too). If you're experiencing performance issues with Vectorworks 2017 please know that it is not typical and that if you're running it on hardware appropriate to the increased demands of 2017 and the complexity of your documents, then you can expect to achieve normal performance as well. 

The non-specific symptoms you've described leave many possible causes, but here are some common ones: 

• Vectorworks 2017 requires more hardware performance than 2016 because it has enhanced capabilities. Make sure you Mac meets the Vectorworks 2017 System Requirements. One aspect in particular is the Navigation Graphics: Go > Vectorworks preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics - and set this to 'Good Performance and Compatibility' or 'Best Compatibility.' This will improve responsiveness and stability. 
  • Check for stray objects in your Design Layers. If objects or the 'User Origin' are ~8 km / ~5 miles or more away from the "Internal Origin" this will weigh heavily on computation and can cause a broad range of seemingly unrelated symptoms. Centre your drawing over the Internal Origin and pull in your User Origin unless it has to be where it is for georeferencing. See: Vectorworks Help for related info. 
  • Legacy stuff: Symbols, Plug-in objects or other resources. Nothing lasts forever, this includes the compatibility/suitability/usability of resources created years ago in older versions of Vectorworks. While targeted testing demonstrates that Vectorworks is reliably backwards-compatible, the longer resources are around the more opportunity they have to become defunct and this it seems is the most likely explanation for corrupt resources. - Identifying culprits can take a bit of work, but fixing them is relatively easy. Just 'Edit' them to get their guts (images/2D/3D parts) and reassemble them as a new resource. 

If the above isn't applicable or doesn't resolve performance to your satisfaction, please contact your local Vectorworks agent to get the Tech Support needed to get your Vectorworks running normally. 

Jeremy,

thanks for the replay but I think you knew it wasn't applicable as you mentioned at the end.

BTW, and I mean this purely at face value,  do you work for Vectorworks, it's just that the only one on here that I know does is Jim W and he seems to have gone quiet?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Matt

On 9/26/2017 at 4:55 AM, Jeremy Best said:
  • Check for stray objects in your Design Layers. If objects or the 'User Origin' are ~8 km / ~5 miles or more away from the "Internal Origin" this will weigh heavily on computation and can cause a broad range of seemingly unrelated symptoms. Centre your drawing over the Internal Origin and pull in your User Origin unless it has to be where it is for georeferencing. See: Vectorworks Help for related info. 

This performance issue needs a bit of nuance, e.g. if you are working with georeferenced data/objects where you need to work with coordinates as you already mentioned in your reply.

In that case keep all origins at the internal origin and work at actual coordinates. Since Vectorworks became 64-bit I have not noticed any serious performance issues with large drawings (including 3D) being at hundreds of kilometers away from the internal origin.

Of course there are limits to what Vectorworks can handle, but distance from the internal origin is no longer the problematic issue at it used to be in the past.

Keeping all origins at the internal origin also has some advantages with referenced design layer viewports as it can prevent some unwanted shifts of viewports/viewport content.

17 hours ago, Mattheng said:

Jeremy,

thanks for the replay but I think you knew it wasn't applicable as you mentioned at the end.

BTW, and I mean this purely at face value,  do you work for Vectorworks, it's just that the only one on here that I know does is Jim W and he seems to have gone quiet?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Matt

Maybe nudge Jim? This post may have escaped his attention, but Jim W is the most visible one on this part of the forums, but there are others as well who do respond from time to time.

As there may be Mac specific issues involved I can unfortunately not offer more info to solve your problem.