scottoire

Spotlight - Export to 3d DWG help

Question

Wonder if someone could help with a DWG Export problem

i am using Spotlight and trying to export my drawing in to a 3D DWG. i'm sure it is some settings i am missing, however when i export, the Truss and Lighting Instrument symbols remain as 2d Symbols (but retain the 'Z' measurement).

Un-ticking the Decompose 3D Symbols and Groups button successfully exports the lighting instruments as 3D, but still not the truss.  however the DWG does not retain the 3D Orientation of the lighting instruments. ie - some fixtures are spun 90 degrees, to appear flat on the front face of the set.  however the DWG ignores this are outs all 3d Orientation back to Zero.

any help with this would be great.

3 answers to this question

I think..... Try changing out of top/plan  into a 3d view, like right isometric,  and then try to export. Truss works like hybrids and will export its current visible state. Weird, right. 

Many thanks for this EAlexander.

this does work for the truss... however it still places the lighing instruments as flat 2d objects.

That is a bit strange, as switching to 3D view should export all 3D objects as 3D objects.

Can you check in the DWG file if you have a unique block (symbol) for each lighting instrument, and for the "flat ones" if they have the same name. If the latter then it could be that they were replaced by the same instance as teh one "wrong" symbol, i.e. if only one is showing up incorrect then the others will show up the same way. That shouldn't happen though.

What do you use to open/view the DWG file?