VW 2018 and Door Hinge Markers

JHAM

Just downloaded 2018 and I am migrating over..

Tell me if I am missing something, but I cannot get the Door Hinge Markers to show up as dashed line type in an elevation (hidden line render).   In the door preview, the default preview render mode is Wireframe, and the dashed line shows up correctly. As soon as I switch to Hidden Line, it becomes a solid line.

I use a class type for the hinge marker and have tried various line types, but I cannot get any of them to show up as anything but a solid line.  Anyone else having this issue?

Don't want to complain too much, because my biggest pet peeve with previous versions (detail callout) was resolved!

J

• Like 2
On 9/19/2017 at 1:46 AM, JHAM said:

Just downloaded 2018 and I am migrating over..

Tell me if I am missing something, but I cannot get the Door Hinge Markers to show up as dashed line type in an elevation (hidden line render). 

I'm certainly missing something since I don't understand the need for this. A non-professional client does not understand the obscure and funny hinge marker anyway and surely the professionals use door schedules in combination with floor plans. Industry practices of course vary.

Edited by Urbanist
Typos fixed
11 minutes ago, Urbanist said:

A non-professional client does not understand the obscure and funny hinge marker anyway

A key/legend solves that problem.

12 minutes ago, Urbanist said:

and surely the professionals use door schedules in combination with floor plans.

Forcing people to look at plans to know the swing of a door is lazy drafting, especially when you have a 3D model as a single source of data. It's not just door schedules either. Window schedules have doors in them.

4 hours ago, Urbanist said:

I'm certainly missing something since I don't understand the need for this. A non-professional client does not understand the obscure and funny hinge marker anyway and surely the professionals use door schedules in combination with floor plans. Industry practices of course vary.

You're right that clients do not usually understand this at first, but they are teachable and some catch on fairly quickly. Either way, a client's perceived understanding shouldn't dictate how we do our work/drawings. The hinge markers give an added layer of information in elevations -- sometimes elevations can read a little flat without them. They also are a signal that that rectangle in my drawing is definitely a door and cannot be mistaken for something else.    Contractors need all the help they can get.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Christiaan said:

A key/legend solves that problem.

Keys and legends are a sign of poor drafting.

5 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Forcing people to look at plans to know the swing of a door is lazy drafting, especially when you have a 3D model as a single source of data. It's not just door schedules either. Window schedules have doors in them.

One of the first things I learned was not to draw anything that does not have relevant information value or is shown elsewhere in a more appropriate or detailed way. The swing of a door in  an elevation is irrelevant, especially when we have a 3D-model that can show doors opened or shut. That is how one communicates to non-professional clients in this century. In my country, the door schedule is the legally binding document in this respect. No matter what you have in plans or elevations, industriously drafted, the doors that are delivered are those in the schedule. 

54 minutes ago, Urbanist said:

Keys and legends are a sign of poor drafting.

Keys and legends are a cornerstone of clear communication. Some of us can't assume that a reader (professional or not) knows which way arrow markers are pointing, whether to the hinge side or the handle side. One of the clearest ways to communicate this is a graphic legend.

59c297950edb3_ScreenShot2017-09-20at17_28_50.png.9be29d15f55e4a8a3365383a5bcb72aa.png

The swing of a door in an elevation is irrelevant

It's quite relevant in this elevation

59c297b5414af_ScreenShot2017-09-20at17_29_11.png.44ea690e9f5a123ba5ce0ed24b29de81.png

especially when we have a 3D-model that can show doors opened or shut

Totally irrelevant to most of the window manufacturers we work with

Edited by Christiaan

10 hours ago, Christiaan said:

59c297950edb3_ScreenShot2017-09-20at17_28_50.png.9be29d15f55e4a8a3365383a5bcb72aa.png

It's quite relevant in this elevation

59c297b5414af_ScreenShot2017-09-20at17_29_11.png.44ea690e9f5a123ba5ce0ed24b29de81.png

Fair enough, but no window manufacturer I have ever worked with needed such a representation. A diagram with single lines, dimensions and references to details or standards was enough. But as I said, industry practices vary and my main experience is from manual drafting in the 1970s and buildings with hundreds of windows usually following a typology. I have no idea of a workflow in which submodels such as your example can be reliably extracted from the building model, where one of course determines the dimensions and swings, but no-one wants such ugly lines in the elevation drawings. And speaking of details: I and my colleagues worked often very hard to find suitable steel profiles from manufacturers' catalogues, only to learn that the ones we chose could not be used for one reason or another. 

10 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Totally irrelevant to most of the window manufacturers we work with

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2017 at 5:05 AM, Christiaan said:

@JHAM Alan's right, unchecking this option will fix your immediate problem.

But I think there's still a bug when using the Class attributes option that causes the line to be solid in Hidden Line render. Rendering in OpenGL using this option is fine, for instance.

The bug of not showing the correct line characteristics using the class attributes in a Hidden Line render still exists. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Edited by martinfdc
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, martinfdc said:

The bug of not showing the correct line characteristics using the class attributes in a Hidden Line render still exists. I hope it gets fixed soon.

@martinfdc, This appears to be fixed in Vectorworks 2019. What version are you seeing this problem in?

Just now, Matt Panzer said:

Are you sure the "Use Hinge Marker Class Attributes" option is selected?

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 4.34.21 PM.png

If so, can you send me a file showing the problem?

Hi @Matt Panzer I was just editing my response to you.

The bug is not present any more.

Use hinge marker class setting was activated but I was doing something that did not make sense in another place. In my section viewport, under advanced section viewport properties>Objects Beyond/Below Cut Plane>Line Style> I was using a class setting and not the original attributes of the window.

My apologies, my bad!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
32 minutes ago, martinfdc said:

Hi @Matt Panzer I was just editing my response to you.

The bug is not present any more.

Use hinge marker class setting was activated but I was doing something that did not make sense in another place. In my section viewport, under advanced section viewport properties>Objects Beyond/Below Cut Plane>Line Style> I was using a class setting and not the original attributes of the window.

My apologies, my bad!

Ahhh.  Good to see you now have it working! 🙂

• Like 1