Organizing Dimensions- New User

I am a new user with the 2017 student version of Vectorworks.  I went through the getting started and several other Youtube videos and my startup has been pretty fast.   I never expected to get this far so fast.  I am, however, running into an issue.  I am working on a retail space that is composed of several parts that need to be detailed individually.  I started by modeling the entire display in 3d and then made viewports of the individual components and placed them on sheet layers.  

I have a design layer that contains the entire modeled space in 3d.  I have a sheet layer for the viewport of the floor plan from the model, and I have sheet layers that contain viewports of the individual cabinets.  I created a top, front and side viewport drawings using three different viewports.  When I add the dimensions I get ALL the dimensions of the whole space.  I worked around this by making individual classes for each cabinets dimensions, but when I add the cabinet's dimension class, I still get all the dimensions for that cabinet and not just the ones for the view I am working on.  

Am I doing this wrong?  It seems there must be an easier way.

Tim

@tfloraditchthe only time annotation dimensioning does not work is if you are dimensioning a rotated viewport, for example where you have a difference in project north and true north. This is the only case where I have a class and design layer dedicated to dimensioning. I have tried eliminating this by splitting files where I need to show site plan (true north) sheets in a separate file to floor plans (project north), however I loose the automated elevation/section notations when doing this.