Sign in to follow this  
lisagravy

Separating proposed data from existing with Stake Tool

I have a series of stake points generated from existing levels to create an existing site model.

I have now calculated the proposed levels, and generated another series of stake points, which I thought I could apply to existing to generate my proposed model.

However, when I apply these new stake points as modifiers, they tie to the existing site model points and become 'spikes' in the existing model, rather than tying to each other. 

What am I missing with this? Can I set the proposed model data to ignore existing?

Do I need to create a separate model for proposed? I want to be able to do cut and fill calculations, which is why I want to modify the existing site, but I don't know how to stop my modify points tying to existing data rather than just the proposed points? 

Even when I use pad modifiers, the existing site model info gets in the way? 

Example attached, showing existing contour information puncturing proposed and creating little jagged spikes!

Existing.png

Propossed.png

For future posters, the answer to this is to set a grade limit around the extent of your entire site model, as well as any internal grade limits you want to set.

In this case, my points were outside my outermost grade limit so were automatically tying immediately to the closest defined point on the existing model!!

Simple fix.

On 18.9.2017 at 0:00 PM, lisag said:

However, when I apply these new stake points as modifiers, they tie to the existing site model points and become 'spikes' in the existing model, rather than tying to each other. 

That is what I expected.

On 18.9.2017 at 1:30 PM, lisag said:

For future posters, the answer to this is to set a grade limit around the extent of your entire site model, as well as any internal grade limits you want to set.

Aha.

So you say, as an example,

when I create a grade limit around my site

and have just 1 proposed stake,

It will ignore all existing stakes

and connect from this stake height directly to the site border around ?

So the missing non planar Pad could be done by just creating some stakes around such a "Pad" area ?

Edited by zoomer

3 minutes ago, zoomer said:

That is what I expected.

Aha.

So you say, as an example,

when I create a grade limit around my site

and have just 1 proposed stake,

It will ignore all existing stakes

and connect from this stake height directly to the site border around ?

So the missing non planar Pad could be done by just creating some stakes around such a "Pad" area ?

Hmm, that's a good idea actually. I will try and let you know!