High Sierra and VW 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In our internal testing so far things are looking good for 2018. a few issues have been found and generally we would call sp2 our compatibility release for a new os for the current Vectorworks 2018. Vectorworks 2017 will very likely be made compatible by it's own SP5. I'll post the official word as soon as possible but no huge red flags at the moment.

Seems to be running fine on my test machine, but then I haven't worked on anything very long (yet). Seems to be slow to initialize - should be faster with new file system.

Having issues with printing to HP DesignJet PostScript (workaround is open file on other machine or publish to PDF and print that on the other machine).

Might be better to hold off a while if you don't want any surprises!

High Sierra in general,

while waiting for the update to appear in App Store, I read some warnings about software

vendors discouraging from High Sierra installation. Like every year Adobe, Ableton and such

products will not run. But there was also Wacom mentioned, their drivers would not work at all.

It was hard to find such waring on Wacoms (international only) website but it was there.

Driver update should come until end (!) of October.

My Wacom Cintiq is my only monitor and doesn't even work as a monitor without the driver.

As I don't accept this(*), I did exactly that, installed High Sierra.

(Would have gone for holidays if that really happened)

Experience was that I got a login screen after installing and don't see any problems with Wacom drivers

so far. (Not sure if that also applies if you try to install these drivers AFTER  installing 10.13)

Just my 3D Connection CADMouse did not work, which could be solved by un/reconnecting the USB plug

for a few times.

Overall High Sierra runs very smooth,.

Boot disk went down from 550 GB in use to only 300 GB and it feels like a new machine. Everything is faster.

Not sure if that's only because all caches and temp folders got cleaned.

Not much VW 2018 testing but VW 2017 does work quite normally and doesn't crash more often when

Site Modeling than it did with Low Sierra.

(*) I wonder why each year some Software is totally surprised that Apple releases a new OS every year.

Don't know what happened over the half year beta phase or does it mean that each year Apple releases

a totally different OS than what was in the Beta or even Golden Master, that they finally realize that their

products won't run, just 20 Minutes after Apples final Release - to throw out their first warnings.

Edited by zoomer

^ So everything fine then   ... ;)

I had the save dialog issue when I started with VW 2018 agin by opening a VW 2017 file.

Display of Folder/Path bookmarks in wrong order an no way to change the save path.

Feared the worst - but after a few new save attempts it finally worked.

I didn't see any issues with VW 2017 in real work so far.

And opposed to another post, no problems here with RW rendering ....

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

^ So everything fine then   ... ;)

I had the save dialog issue when I started with VW 2018 agin by opening a VW 2017 file.

Display of Folder/Path bookmarks in wrong order an no way to change the save path.

Feared the worst - but after a few new save attempts it finally worked.

I didn't see any issues with VW 2017 in real work so far.

And opposed to another post, no problems here with RW rendering ....

have had to return to a time machine backup. I tried reinstalling vectorworks, reinstalling the OS and vworks and after fiddling about a fair bit I found that it also didn't work under 10.12.6. I have returned to 10.12.3 and it works fine. ? I assume there is something else causing the issue but still- Not great.

Was hoping to use an eGPU with renderworks, seeing as these are supposedly supported on high sierra. If anyone has any luck with that, would be very interested to hear.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Sorry, realized that by High Sierra installation my side bar bookmarks were resorted

alphabetically in general ! Not VW related at all.

@digitalcarbonalready mentioned and showed this in one of his videos,

Organization Palette had large lags for him.

I experience also some lags with High Sierra now.

Not half a minute as for him but very noticeable and different from what I was used in VW so far.

Not sure if it is a High Sierra or plain VW 2018 issue .

As the file a) had grown now, in between in VW 2017, and b) I am not sure if I really ever worked

in VW 2018 Organization Palette at that time before.