VW 2018 Export to Web

barkest

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Techs are tracking this issue actively now. (Moving to Known) They suspect it may be related to a combination of macOS' firewall and/or LittleSnitch, in a lot of cases disabling these let WebView work, but of course they're trying to find a way around it that doesn't involve shutting off security completely.

Hello, I am facing an issue with exporting my models to web view, I've exported it before and it works like charm but off late its facing an issue I am unable to solve so much so that I need to export these models badly, I need them for a presentation, but the image below might help you better understand what is the problem I am facing. Ive not made any changes to internet settings neither on my Mac nor any changes in vectorworks. Kindly help me through, its very important. Ive attached an image showing how  I am unable to use the upload to server option, it just saves the model offline, I need it on the server. Please help. Thankyou in advance. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 6.38.13 PM.png

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem here. My firewall is enabled but I don't have Little Snitch installed.

Some other observations from testing -

- the Preview function of Export Web View doesn't show any of the new options on the preview model that opens in my browser. Ambient Occlusion, Draw Edges or Full Colour/White Model all don't appear. They work fine if I export the Web View result into a local folder.

- the Preview function also doesn't display my Renderworks Background. It does in VW2017.

- Installing VW2018 (or perhaps updating VW Cloud Services) has broken the ability to Export Web View in VW2017. The Upload to Vectorworks Server checkbox is now greyed out.

- Draw Edges only draws some of the edges in the Web View result from a local export.

Is this all expected behaviour?

Kevin

I think this is related to one of two things -

- the upgrade of NV's online services to support the launch of VW2018 has disrupted the ability to upload Web View exports from VW2017 onto the NV server.

- or installing VW2018 or the upgraded VW Cloud Services software on your machine disrupts the ability to to upload Web View exports from VW2017 onto the NV server.

Its nothing you've done. I have the same issue on my machine.

Kevin

12 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I think this is related to one of two things -

- the upgrade of NV's online services to support the launch of VW2018 has disrupted the ability to upload Web View exports from VW2017 onto the NV server.

- or installing VW2018 or the upgraded VW Cloud Services software on your machine disrupts the ability to to upload Web View exports from VW2017 onto the NV server.

Its nothing you've done. I have the same issue on my machine.

Kevin

Hey thanks kevin, I found this very tedious solving out the problem but to no avail, I am using its animation feature to do the presentation, its a bit of a hassle but I hope it gets back on soon, wishing you well. 

Hey @Kevin McAllister,

To answer your questions:

- Both of the preview bugs will be fixed for an SP release.

- Not sure about this behavior. I would have to look into it.

- You would have to send me a model that exhibits this behavior. We attempted to emulate the draw edges rendering behavior within Vectorworks, but there still might be a couple problems with it depending on the model.

Thanks!

Andrew

Hey@barkest,

Sorry to hear you are having this problem. If you open up a terminal on windows/mac (whatever console you are using), and type in "ping www.vectorworks.net", does this fail? If it does, then that is why the message is popping up. We use pinging as roughly the best indicator to tell us if you are connected to the internet or not. We don't want to be able to upload models if your internet is not connected or else bad things will happen. In some cases (i.e. firewalls and such), this will fail. It is a little curious that this is failing from your house. I'll look into this more and see if there is anything I can do.

Thanks!

Andrew

11 minutes ago, AndrewG said:

Hey @Kevin McAllister,

To answer your questions:

- Both of the preview bugs will be fixed for an SP release.

- Not sure about this behavior. I would have to look into it.

- You would have to send me a model that exhibits this behavior. We attempted to emulate the draw edges rendering behavior within Vectorworks, but there still might be a couple problems with it depending on the model.

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Here's the file I've been testing. Its a simple stage I created in reply to another thread on the forums so I'm happy to post it here.

There is another forum thread about the issue with VW2017 and Export Web View - 

I think you'll find its a widespread issue on a Mac. I never had any problems exporting in the past.

Cheers,

Kevin

Stage_Example_v2018.vwx

Hey @Kevin McAllister and @barkest,

Do you get the same result when you type in "ping www.google.com" into the command prompt? If you do, that means that you computer is silently dropping packets when sending the request to the server or packets are being dropped on the way back to your machine.

I will look more into this and see where the problem may have arisen in the first place.

Andrew

On 9/17/2017 at 7:11 AM, Bhavesh said:

Hello, I am facing an issue with exporting my models to web view, I've exported it before and it works like charm but off late its facing an issue I am unable to solve so much so that I need to export these models badly, I need them for a presentation, but the image below might help you better understand what is the problem I am facing. Ive not made any changes to internet settings neither on my Mac nor any changes in vectorworks. Kindly help me through, its very important. Ive attached an image showing how  I am unable to use the upload to server option, it just saves the model offline, I need it on the server. Please help. Thankyou in advance. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 6.38.13 PM.png

Same Issue here... really strange

Hello everyone,

It has come to my attention that this is a problem on the Vectorworks side, but thankfully it has nothing to do with the application itself. This is a server-side problem.

I hope I can provide a plugin for you to use that doesn't use this check within the next day or so as a workaround for this. 

We hope to fix this problem very soon.

Sorry for the inconveniences. 

Andrew

@barkest,

Can you attempt to export to the server again and attempt to ping the server via the terminal if that doesn't work? I think we may have fixed the issue server side since www.vectorworks.net is now pingable. Want to be sure this fixed it or not.

Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by AndrewG
7 minutes ago, AndrewG said:

@barkest,

Can you attempt to export to the server again and attempt to ping the server via the terminal if that doesn't work? I think we may have fixed the issue server side since www.vectorworks.net is now pingable. Want to be sure this fixed it or not.

Thanks for all of your help!

Andrew,

I am now able to Export Web View successfully from both VW2017 and VW2018.

Thanks to you and your team members for solving this so quickly!

Kevin