Photometric Grid

Why can't VW use IES files to calculate foot-candles using the photometric grid? It can import IES files and use them to create lighting instruments the can be used for renderings, why can't it access that data and show us what it is "seeing"? Architectural lighting is an industry in need of disruption. VW should be that disruptor. AGI32 is clunky at best and crashes all the time. It can't be that hard to take IES files and use them to calc grids. Speaking of which, why can't you place calc grids on surfaces other than the "floor"? What if I wanted to see how bright a wall or backdrop was going to be? 

• Like 2

Dear Josh,

I agree it would be great to 'enhance the workflow' and have the options to plug in architectural lighting load distribution files for level comparison. The programs I have seen doing this type of thing seem fairly rudimentary and seeing that Spotlight has the ability for theatrical fittings it would be great consideration for Architect. Mind you where does it stop - sports fields, roads, airports etc etc. Maybe a third party can do it?

I'm not an architect but I believe there is also more and more call for daylight simulations and analyses. Not just shadow studies but using 'standard' defined skies for a lumen count in interiors. So it all seems a good fit.

BTW, since version 2016 users are able to tilt the Spotlight photometric grid to any angle, including vertical. Check the options in the OIP.

Cheers,

Peter

7 hours ago, Peter Neufeld said:

Spotlight has the ability for theatrical fittings

Unless it has changed in recent versions the photometric tool used with spotlight instruments doesn't use IES data.  It's using photometric data attached to the symbol and straight inverse square law for footcandles calculations and something like an arc tangent(?) to calculate falloff.  It's taking advantage of the fact the many/most theatrical fixtures have simple cones defining field and beam angles and the spaces are typically one large volume.

If you draw a wall between the theatrical fixture and the photometric grid the result on the photometric grid doesn't change.

So it's not something that can easily be ported to Architect.

Dear Michael,

Yes you are absolutely right. Spotlight doesn't use IES data but Josh's premise is a good one though. 

From the Help re Custom Renderworks Lights: "The brightness value is obtained using the integral of the raw emission data provided with the file. The file must be a text file with industry standard intensity distribution data in .ies format." 

So, if Renderworks already renders a custom light accurately from the .ies load distribution file, surely we can also get a practical photometric grid readout as well?! Of course, it is always easier said than done, and I have no idea how, but it's as if we're half way there already.

Cheers,

Peter

What Peter is saying really gets to the heart of my initial comment. It is clear the VW is using the IES data to render. Why can't it display that data? How can that data be captured ? That's really what I'm after. Also, in regards to the photometeric grids, it would be great to be able to draw them on any object in 3d space. So not just a floor but on a wall, up a set of stairs, around objects. 

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I'm busy working on a project that requires photo-metric data to show if lumens from a proposed light fixture will be enough to light an outdoor artpiece before installation etc.

The proposed light fixture (Kim Lighting - Lightvault) is not in the vectorworks stock symbols library, but have found the IES file from manufacturer.

I've spend a fair bit of time trying to get this working, to no avail. I've used a standard light fixture (from Vectorworks) and imported the IES file. Tried a side by side comparison to see if any photometric data changed after applying the IES file. Did not work.

Then I stumbled upon this discussion. Do I understand correctly that you can import the IES file to help make rendering more accurate, but can't be used for photometric data?

If that is so, I would like to ask if this could be considered in a future update release.

Is there anyone with a suggestion for me to try perhaps?

H.Enslin

29 minutes ago, Henslin said:

Then I stumbled upon this discussion. Do I understand correctly that you can import the IES file to help make rendering more accurate, but can't be used for photometric data?

If that is so, I would like to ask if this could be considered in a future update release.

Is there anyone with a suggestion for me to try perhaps?

You are correct. VW does not offer the ability to do a photometric calculation like you are looking for, though it has been a long requested feature update. I'm hoping they'll get there soon.

In the meantime, depending on your crunch and ability to learn a new software, DIALux is a free software that offers this capability. It is a little cumbersome to learn at first, but not too difficult and does offer the abilities you are looking for.

https://www.dial.de/en/dialux-desktop/download/

Hope this helps.