VW2018 Custom Leader Heads

Jeremiah Russell

Question

I am unable to create custom leader heads in VW 2018. The only option is a filled arrow head, which I have never used. I even deleted it from the marker list and it still shows up. I have my own custom leader selected and no dice. Any thoughts? You can see my old custom leader marker in the note top center of the image. The copied into the file just fine. However new call outs all have the arrow.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 1.24.06 PM.png

Edited by Jeremiah Russell

8 answers to this question

I'm positive its possible but after playing with it a bit I'm not sure what to advise you. I'd start by double clicking on the tool icon in the mode bar while the Callout tool is selected. It gives you an option to change it (and this may be where you already tried). I'm not sure how this should be set if you want the markers By Class.

59bc2851921a6_ScreenShot2017-09-15at12_16_32PM.png.70928bc35f4055d24e64c2de42bbbf60.png

I'm finding my callouts in VW2018 are defaulting to By Class but in a weird way. Normally this would be set in the Attributes palette while a callout object is selected, but you can see its not set to By Class -

59bc285265207_ScreenShot2017-09-15at12_17_34PM.png.2f92406e6dc557d5ef2316bac5a739c9.png

But there's also a secondary place in the OIP I just discovered - click Leader Attributes - which is set to By Class.

59bc2852e7aa5_ScreenShot2017-09-15at12_19_18PM.png.1465fcfb449468f9537cd7c3b94d137a.png

I'm not sure which takes precedence. I suspect your callouts are defaulting to By Class using this hidden OIP setting, which is overriding your manual setting. I would test this by temporarily editing the class containing your Callouts and assigning them a different marker type.

Is that confusing enough :) . I have no idea why its gotten so complicated....

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Just now, Jeremiah Russell said:

Kevin, thank you! That IS the issue. Now, the question is how to I get the callout tool to STOP setting the marker to by class? Or do I change that in the class?

Kevin,

Just figured it out. It is something you can set in the class style properties. This might be one of those funky bugs that VW needs to address in the first SP. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again! This saved me a lot of heartache!

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah Russell said:

It is something you can set in the class style properties.

Interesting. Where do I find class style properties, or do you just mean the dialog where you edit a class?

It feels like something that you should be able to set from the Preferences dialog for the Callout Tool. Not sure why it doesn't appear there.

As you say, there is something funky here. Glad to hear its sorted out for now.

Kevin

Yes, sir. If you edit the class under "graphic attributes" there are two selections - left marker and right marker. Why they specify direction I have no idea. Why would you want one marker for left leaders and one for right leaders? But, that is where it is. As long as you only use one class for your leaders it shouldn't be that big a deal. However, if you use multiple then you'll have to change each class individually. 

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The left and right marker are because the preference was originally designed for lines, which have a start and a stop point.

Here's how weird it can get - don't try this at home :). If you add additional leaders they aren't styled By Class but by the Callout Tool preferences instead....

59bc2efd12418_ScreenShot2017-09-15at12_45_27PM.png.8a4fe9a780f07382a56aa8a24dea6778.png

This is super weird.

Kevin

This is part of the new functionality that allows you to have different markers for different leaders. But another instance of the implementation being a little hazy...

Click the Edit Sub-object buttons, and then you'll see that the "Leader Attributes" button is controlling the one leader that was highlighted.

But there's no "revert to listening to the Attributes Palette" option.

50 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

This is part of the new functionality that allows you to have different markers for different leaders. But another instance of the implementation being a little hazy...

Oh, interesting...... it would have made way more sense to have next/last buttons in the Leader Attributes dialog or just put the leader attributes into the OIP directly, doing away with the dialog.

50 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

But there's no "revert to listening to the Attributes Palette" option.

There is no By Class preference for the Callout Tool in general. And if you insert a Callout into the drawing while the Attributes palette markers are set to By Class the Callout tool ignores this setting. Its something that I've struggled with a lot. Usually it means selecting Callouts individually and forcing the By Class setting in the Attributes palette.

Kevin