Jump to content

Updating Node


Recommended Posts



I have nodes, with the following headline:


This is great, because instead of copy/paste an updated code into every node of that type I used in a project it is up-to-date, whenever I edit A node. Also editing a node, will update the resource on my disk and will make up-to-date other nodes which I edit. Also I am able to edit the node in an external editor,  whithout copy/paste the result code.


Anyone has an Idea, how to update hundreds of nodes in a document, which are all linked to the same file instance but are not up to date. Edit and exit every node after update steals time from making new fantastic marionette projects. 




How about tagging the nodes with the year, they are released first time? We have to manually compare (or making a marionette script for resource comparing :-) -> another great Idea) the two versions to see, which nodes are new. How many time I created a custom node, which was already there in a new version but I did not realized. 


Link to comment


Have to correct this. Seems like updating the nodes to 2018 deletes (Even if I copy the python Scripts in the library folder) the first line with the #COMMAND;REFFILE; ......  link ... a case for a Bug Report?


Either way, Great Version!

Particular Multi-View is incredible cool for Marionette Scripters

Link to comment
  • Marionette Maven

The removal of the preprocessor when moving files from 2017 to 2018 is intentional because we changed how some of the nodes worked (specifically swapping out input ports for OIP controls) which could introduce broken networks in the newer version. All nodes placed from the Marionette tool in 2018 will still have the preprocessor code. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Marissa

Thanks for quick reply! That's OK.

In a special case I used a Beta-Node(Which frequently has to be updated) 100 times in a Drawing (to test different usecases and objects) and used the "Preprocessor" to speed up that process. Maybe for making this, it was a better choice to directly import the code as an external module directly into the node execution next time.


Besides, my fairly efficient workflow to edit nodes in the Drawing.

It pops up a Script-Edit-Dialoge for every node which matchs to the criteria

criteria = "(('MarionetteNode'.'NodeLocalizedType'='The Node Name'))"
def DoIt(h):
    vs.EditObjectSpecial(h, 4)#The edit mode: 0-Default; 2-Properties; 3-Reshape; 4-Edit group like;


Link to comment
  • Marionette Maven

@the frog

I don't think you should be "afraid" of 2018 :) 

I'm not sure how your distributor handles content, but if you find that you don't have the same Marionette content that we have over here, I can help you out and get you the nodes you need from our version. That's the best part about Marionette - it's easy to transfer nodes from computer to computer :) 

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...

hmm this only seems to work for me if I put the py file in a root directory; C:\, D:\, L:\; etc



once i put it in a folder it doesnt work:



error pops up saying:

- the referenced file not found

The specified file was found but could not be written to.
Click Ok and made the file writable to save your changee 
If you choose Cancel you scipt will be saved locally in the node 
but these changes maybe lost when the scipt editor is opened next time 

any thoughts on fixes?

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

A  happy new year to all of you!


Maybe this is the thread my question fits best in.

I just opened a vwx2017 file with marionette networks in VWX 2018 for the first time.

What is left from the networks is a chaos of pure lines where the connection lines used to be. No nodes at all.


The Marionette objects are still there. When I first had a look at the network inside

all the connections were cut. The connection lines end somewhere near the other node.

When I close and open again. The nodes are magically reconnected.


That's not normal, is it?

As far as I understand the thread above this should not happen.


VWX 2018 doesn't run stable at my computer yet.

To be precise: it crushes every time I close it. Even if I don't work in it at all.

So I haven't started working with this version seriously yet but stick to VWX 2017.


Maybe this marionette conversion behavior gives a clue what is wrong with my VWX 2018 so that could be fixed too?


I add both the file in its original vwx2017 version and the vwx2018 version with lines instead of networks.

Maybe someone has an idea about this?


(About the content: I am trying to produce multiple phyllotaxis with a series of different angles and put them in a row -

just wanted to see if DomCs Change Marionette OIP Parameter script, in VWX2018, could help with that.

But that's another question.)










Phyllotaxis doublizieren und versetzen v2018.vwx

Phyllotaxis doublizieren und versetzen.vwx

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...