Cinema 4D

8 hours ago, barkest said:

Slightly off topic but I went with C4D for quite some time then the latest release just wasn't good enough and it hit me that I had only chosen C4D because of the VW pipeline. Once I got over that I dropped it like a rock and took up Maya. It has been a breath of air with the UV tools (just gorgeous) and the Arnold renderer. VW is seamless into Maya without a single issue at all. No doubt, for me at least, it has been a successful decision. I now build in VW and then light, texture and render in Maya. I often use VW structures as reference objects in Maya and rebuild if required. 

For interest it was BodyPaint and the utter lack of pipeline with Substance Painter and Unity that killed C4D for me. Well those and the complete jumble of a material implementation which confused me no end. I am sure it works for others but the quality of my work has never been higher and that is after less than 3-months.

As I say, I appreciate it works for others but not for me.

@barkest anywhere online we can see your work? Curious about your workflow. I use Cinema and Corona, but have tried Arnold and liked it -  Autodesk is a no go for me. But still curious to see what your doing with it from VW geometry. Sorry to hijack the thread. 

Edited by EAlexander
On 2.12.2017 at 12:51 AM, zoomer said:

Very soon I will see if Exchange works still lossless or not in SP2

in a realworld example anyway.

Well, so far,

some dislocated geometry in a Null Object Group of another Wall (!?)

and many Faces have destroyed (what VW exports as) UVWs.

I feared it would be worse.

No more VW 2017 reliability but still usable.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:20 PM, Andrew Davies said:

@JimW& @SelinDo you have any ideas?  Getting a bit desperate here.  I've watched your videos on Send to C4D and I am not getting the same behaviour at all.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The dialog you are missing should come up on the Cinema side, so it's their bug. I will contact them but you might want to too, since I haven't seen any other case like this.

Which version of OS are you using? VW SP? Cinema version? So I can get a quicker response.

I feel your pain though. Merging is next to useless without that dialogue.

Thanks Selin

I’m on Mac OS High Sierra. Latest patches etc installed

VWX 2018 SP2

C4D R19

I’ve tried Maxon a couple of times. First time they said it’s a VWX issue, second time they ignored me. 

Thanks so much for helping. I’ve tried my distributor here in the UK too but nothing from him either. 

Andrew

On 5.12.2017 at 12:01 AM, zoomer said:

some dislocated geometry in a Null Object Group of another Wall (!?)

Obviously a Wall that was moved, Style changed and re-joined.

And the Wall that was extended to join with that said Wall has the broken UV

at ist elongated Face Part.

No, also High Sierra here.

And since VW 2014 and all C4D releases on every current OS X or macOS Version,

I never ever had any Exchange without said Option Window.

I am not sure about losing your dragged Material loss,

if that is a new VW 2018 issue or ever worked as I always assign Material by Classes and

and overwrite whole Materials in C4D. That worked great in VW 2017 and overwriting was kept.

Just new geometry brought the old VW Material into C4D again.

And currently I use imported C4D Materials and don't do any changes to them in C4D.

Edited by zoomer