Rename "Styles" to Types

Christiaan

Question

8 answers to this question

Well.... I guess this is one of those things that depend on how you look at it. The wall types are controlled in a way that e.g. text styles work so yes I can imagine using wall styles for defining wall types.

It's probably fine with me either way, but if something is called a style then to me it defines that you can control it with options etc. whereas a type can be either a fixed or adjustable definition.
From that perspective Line Types should probably be called Line Styles B|

For me Style is just not the natural word that everyone uses, so it can be mildly confusing for new users. The word we use throughout the building industry is Type. Style is generally reserved to refer to the appearance of things rather than the configuration of things.

Imagine referring to a wall type as a "wall style" when talking to a builder on site for instance. She'll probably think, it's just a wall to the toilet mate, we're not building the Sagrada Família here 9_9:D

Edited by Christiaan
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

For me Style is just not the natural word that everyone uses, so it can be mildly confusing for new users. The word we use throughout the building industry is Type. Style is generally reserved to refer to the appearance of things rather than the configuration of things.

Imagine referring to a wall type as a "wall style" when talking to a builder on site for instance. She'll probably think, it's just a wall to the toilet mate, we're not building the Sagrada Família here 9_9:D

I agree that it is preferred to use the common terminology for tools etc.,  it is just that I am so used to definitions/acronyms having vastly different meanings depending on the discipline someone is coming from that it is not much of an issue to me. It's only a bit confusing for a few minutes when you switch from one discipline to another and then have to realize the meaning of e.g. an acronym changes too.

Add language translations into the mix and it can get hilarious (or embarrasing) at times :)

Now, if that toilet would look like the Sagrada Familia then that might be the eyecatcher of the building. Just hope that the lines in front of it won't be as long as for the one in Barcelona.

• Like 1

I think Styles need another layer of function before they can be good enough to be called Types.

To me types have project-specific numbers that tags can pick up on use to convey that information to others.

Where Styles need an office naming convention to make sure everyone in the office is on the same page.

Types have legends that appear on drawings where styles have well nothing helpful in this regard.

Types have sub-types for minor variations where styles only have unrelated duplicates or unstyled instances.