VW2018 - Online Help

Kevin McAllister

Question

I'm having some difficulties using the online help at the moment. When I do a search its working for a long time and when I click on a Table of Contents item I get this -

59bad365348e2_ScreenShot2017-09-14at12_04_57PM.png.b2091437a9a8edd3eb292d6f16b58adb.png

Shouldn't it access the help locally if it has trouble?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS> The new help is very clean and has great readability. I'm not sure why everything has been switched to the right side though. Ironically for a piece of software where maintaining the legacy aspects is so important the help changes constantly in its presentation. I wish more resources were directed at the content of the help instead of its method of delivery.

8 answers to this question

"Screen Aligned" annoys me. It's the equivalent to "Layer Plane" but for when you're in orthographic views (Front, Right, etc). It's similar to layer plane because it creates the shape in 3D space. I understand that it cant be named "Layer Plane" because that would mean the +0" ground plane, which in orthographic views is perpendicular to your view and therefore invisible. So instead it's called "Screen Aligned".

With "Screen Aligned," once you draw a shape, the object's plane is named "3D" in the OIP. You also get the "3D" plane if you draw something on the Layer Plane but then rotate or move it so it's no longer aligned with the Layer Plane. And finally you also get "3D" when drawing something on a "Working Plane."

So there's Screen Plane... and then there's Screen Aligned/Layer Plane/Working Plane/3D, which are all effectively the same thing (planar object in 3D space) but named and implemented in perhaps unclear ways.

Also, every time I go to an orthographic view I find that it's often set to "Screen Aligned" and almost always have to switch to Screen Plane because in Orthographic views that's what I happen to want. I wish I could set orthographic views to always be Screen Plane. (And I don't want to globally change the setting in Document Preferences because I use both Screen Plane and Layer Plane for their respective purposes. But I want it to "stick" to Screen Plane whenever possible unless I manually change it). Hence why "Screen Aligned" annoys me. PLUS on my screen the dropdown just displays "Scr..." so I always have to click to see which I'm actually set to since they start with the same 3 letters.

Edited by Andy Broomell

Hopefully the above helps clarify the various planes a bit. I for one DO NOT SUPPORT those on the forums that assert that there shouldn't be both Screen Plane and Layer Plane. There needs to be both for so many functional reasons. Once you understand their peculiarities they work fairly well... usually. But they could be renamed or implemented in a way that's more clear and streamlined.

4 hours ago, Alexandra Duffy said:

Try refreshing your browser and clearing your cache to avoid the strange link issue.

Thanks Alexandra. Clearing the cache seems to have solved it for now.

4 hours ago, Alexandra Duffy said:

As for "screen aligned," are you referring to the screen plane?

I was searching for this -

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

59baf0d126620_ScreenShot2017-09-14at2_12_30PM.png.f3f1e8b8678413a62a1da31833f29f71.png

which for some reason is not actually present in the documentation. Perhaps an oversight.....

@Andy BroomellI see we feel the same way about "Screen Aligned" :). It is definitely my arch nemesis in VW. I have a wish list item to have it be banished :D. It is the Achilles Heel of the Screen Plane/Layer Plane implementation. I was searching for it to get some clarification since I'm exploring a new workflow using Multiple View Panes.

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I for one DO NOT SUPPORT those on the forums that assert that there shouldn't be both Screen Plane and Layer Plane. There needs to be both for so many functional reasons. Once you understand their peculiarities they work fairly well... usually. But they could be renamed or implemented in a way that's more clear and streamlined.

I agree with this 100%. I mostly work in Screen Plane even though I work entirely in 3d. Its because I need reference snaps without having objects pulled in/out of their current plane, the ability to do 2d layout with shapes as guides, arrays, drawing aids, Polygon Paint Bucket and other commands that do not tend to behave well in Orthographic Views.

Kevin