Silent Install of Vectorworks 2018?

In previous versions of VW, I'd run the installbuilder.sh from inside the installer, and pass along the serial, user, etc with the unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended switches, ensuring the client wouldn't interact with the installer. Now, in 2018, installbuilder.sh has been replaced with "Vectorworks 2018 Installer" which runs with full client interaction, ignoring the switches. Is there a way to perform a silent install of 2018?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

From our QA team, we plan to revise the article ASAP:

"The silent install has changed slightly from 2017 to 2018, in that on windows you now need to uncompress the install executable manually into a folder before running the silent installer.  The executable file you need to kick off the silent installer will be in the \win-unpacked\resources\installer\ folder on windows, and named “Install Vectorworks2018.exe”.  Open a command prompt window as an administrator and use the following command:

\win-unpacked\resources\installer\install-Vectorworks2018.exe --unattendedmodeui none --Serial EDXUSA-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --UserName <user name goes here> --CompName <company name goes here> --installdir <install directory goes here> --mode unattended

On the Mac you will need to first launch the installer .dmg file, which will open a volume called “Vectorworks 2018 Installer” in your finder.  From the Mac terminal, type in the following command:

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks\ 2018\ Installer/Vectorworks\ 2018\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2018.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial EDMUSA-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --UserName <name goes here> --CompName <computer name goes here> --installdir <install directory goes here>

Note:  When replacing the user name, company name, and install directory, do not include the “<” or “>” characters."

Hi Arliss,

Its there, you just need to go deeper into the /Resources/installer folder.  Did you try running the command line in Jim's post?  Try running it without the sudo in front the first time, if you get an error that you need the sudo, add it in.

Let me know if this works for you.

Mike

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bret said:

Jim, where might that article be found? I don't see anything in the knowledgebase addressing silent install since VW2016...is that the most recent documentation?

Correct, apparently (I have not used or tested it personally) it had not changed since 2016 until 2018. New article is pending.

• 1 month later...
On 14.9.2017 at 6:49 PM, JimW said:

From our QA team, we plan to revise the article ASAP:

"The silent install has changed slightly from 2017 to 2018, in that on windows you now need to uncompress the install executable manually into a folder before running the silent installer.  The executable file you need to kick off the silent installer will be in the \win-unpacked\resources\installer\ folder on windows, and named “Install Vectorworks2018.exe”.  Open a command prompt window as an administrator and use the following command:

[..]

On the Mac you will need to first launch the installer .dmg file, which will open a volume called “Vectorworks 2018 Installer” in your finder.  From the Mac terminal, type in the following command:

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks\ 2018\ Installer/Vectorworks\ 2018\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2018.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial EDMUSA-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --UserName <name goes here> --CompName <computer name goes here> --installdir <install directory goes here>

Note:  When replacing the user name, company name, and install directory, do not include the “<” or “>” characters."

for german Mac-users it should be

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks\ 2018/Vectorworks\ 2018\ installieren.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2018.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial BDXGMZ-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --UserName Benutzer --CompName Firma --installdir /Applications/Vectorworks\ 2018

• 4 months later...

Somehow Vectorworks 2018 Dutch won't install silently with the following command:

Install Vectorworks 2018 Installer.EXE --unattendedmodeui minimalWithDialogs --Serial XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX --UserName TEST --CompName Comp --mode unattended

Error I receive are inclosed. I extracted the exe first and then used the the install command.

I Used the --help 

image.thumb.png.f08748eda38cdcfe858df71bc4f3a684.pngimage.thumb.png.9ad3a6d64bd1d2e392c752ca7b8d4191.pngimage.thumb.png.838671680bdfa3d8bb482a71f7ef91f4.pngimage.thumb.png.64e4510afc216315314d45c2879856fe.png