Display Card Query, Iv'e upped the ante, but no change.

Hi,

I thought I would treat myself to a new workhorse and get things specified right up to get into some serious rendering.

As part of the upgrade I chose a Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 G1 8GB card.

I thought I would now be able to set the display preference to "Best Performance" having always used "Best Compatability".

Trouble is I see no change in the redraw/refresh.

I am still seeing residue when moving lines, plant tags etc. That only go away when I return to best compatibility.

Was I asking too much?

Unfortunately that issue seems fairly prevailant no matter the specs. If you’re really needing rendering grunt, then multi core CPU is the way to go. Everything else needs a high per core clock speed which is generally a quad core i7 - i’ve Got the i7 7700k 4.2 ghz quad core processor with a GTX1080 and have the same issues. I think is a best of both worlds cpu - the program generally flies along, but there is a hit in the rendering time - or coffee time :)

I’m keen to investigate or hear if anyone has one of the new AMD chips - the ryzen 7 1800x 8 core or the threadripper 1950x 16 core - they.ve both got good single core clock speeds ....and loads of cores for pumping out renders. I’m finding myself doing more and more rendering these days... so it looks like another pc build is on the way ;) 

Hi all, 

I have the GTX 1080ti and a Ryzen 5 1600x (no overclock) and while the 2017 vectorworks run's very fast indeed sometimes it stutters without understanding why, is there any incompatibility issues with AMD Ryzen processors ? 

I will try out the 2018 version as i haven't updated it yet.

Is there any "demo" file to do some "benchmarking" on rendering and so on?

On 9/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, FBernardo said:

I have the GTX 1080ti and a Ryzen 5 1600x (no overclock) and while the 2017 vectorworks run's very fast indeed sometimes it stutters without understanding why, is there any incompatibility issues with AMD Ryzen processors ? 

I've been reading on the Ryzen processors given all the news about its performance and apparently the single core performance is somewhat lower than the Intel equivalent but the multicore performance is better, which could explain the stutter if you do something that does not use multiple cores.

11 hours ago, Art V said:

I've been reading on the Ryzen processors given all the news about its performance and apparently the single core performance is somewhat lower than the Intel equivalent but the multicore performance is better, which could explain the stutter if you do something that does not use multiple cores.

i used yesterday the 2018 VW and it seems a lot more smooth and fast than the 2017 was, or maybe the drivers updates and the windows updates that have been deployed might have changed the way it works, but for now it looked very smooth and fast, on every bit even doing a custom render with high detail but without a proper file with more textures and so on to try out i cannot really say how well is performing!

If you do get to work on a proper file then please let us know what your experience is on the Ryzen CPU, as Intel has neglected the desktop processors a bit in the past few years with just small improvements in speed, though they might now do more improvements on their processors if Ryzen turns out to be a worthy challenger.