• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
LJ TMS

Add Spotlight to Designer Workspace 2018

Question

For future Vectorworks releases, please add the Spotlight menus and toolset to the Designer workspace (or make a seperate Everything Workspace).

Here's a request from 2010

Add the Spotlight Toolset to the Designer Workspace

And 2014

Everything Workspace

And 2015 (and bumped again in 2017)

VW Designer 2015 - Still no complete workspace with all toolsets

In the meantime, here's how to build a Designer + Spotlight workspace.

1. Create a duplicate of the default Designer workspace and name it.

2. Add the Spotlight menus & commands. Here is a compare of the default Designer workspace vs Spotlight workspace. Add the green hightlighted commands on the right side to your workspace (except the Architectural submenu (right side, lines 512-532) which I believe is already included under AEC (left side, lines 445-536).

3. Goto the Tools / Palettes, and add the Dim tools to your Basic toolset. The list of tools to add is in the compare link (right side, lines 918-924).

4. Add a new tool set and name it Spotlight. The list of tools to add is in the compare link (right side, lines 928-963).

5. Add the icon your newly created Spotlight toolset using the attached icon. (This was a quick and dirty screengrab + cleanup until they allow us to select from the builtin icons).

OR, if you want to save a bunch of time, I've attached a workspace file which is just all the above steps completed (no other customizations).

Place the file in C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2018\Workspaces

Re-open VW and select it under Tools / Workspaces

Designer+Spotlight_2018.vww

spotlight_toolset.png

Edited by LJ TMS

3 answers to this question

It's always driven me crazy that Designer doesn't come with a workspace that includes all the tools you've paid for.

Thanks for sharing your work!!

No problem!

Yea I really can't understand how this feature request isn't fulfilled by now. It requires 0% engineering considering the user can fix this with the workspace editor. The only hack job is having to sceengrab the spotlight toolset icon, since the builtin icon can't be selected in the editor (and cannot be found in the Vectorworks.vwr as suggested here). 

In the 2014/2015 discussions,  it's mentioned there may be a hard limit on how many commands can be added to a single workspace. But this obviously isn't a problem (at least not in VW2017/2018) considering you can add all the missing Spotlight commands to the Designer workspace without any errors.

Heck, they can grab my shared Designer+Spotlight_2018.vww above, swap out the my Spotlight icon with the real icon, bundle the vww in VW, and wish granted!

Edited by LJ TMS

7 hours ago, LJ TMS said:

Heck, they can grab my shared Designer+Spotlight_2018.vww above, swap out the my Spotlight icon with the real icon, bundle the vww in VW, and wish granted!

Yes please!