Using two screens

GeoB

Hello GeoB,

Are you talking about the multiple drawing view pane support in Vectorworks 2018?

If yes, you can follow Jim's video at 28s here to do it.

Or you could check the bottom of this page that explains how you can create a floating view pane step by step.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/index.htm#t=VW2018_Guide%2FViews%2FChanging_the_Multiple_View_Pane_Layout.htm%23XREF_77646_Changing_the

Edited by Chih-Pin
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, GeoB said:

Vector works fundamentals 2016 Windows 10 pro

You won't be able to split two files across two monitors with that version unfortunately. The drawing windows are restricted to the main application window. This was resolved in later releases but not for 2016.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GeoB said:

I have upgraded to Vector Works 2018 still using Windows 10 Pro. Is it now possible to spit files across two monitors?

Make sure you have both drawings open in VW2018, then make the drawing you want on the 2nd monitor the active drawing.

Then use View>Multiple View Panes>Create Floating View Pane to create (as the name says) a floating view pane for that drawing. You can then drag this floating view pane to the 2nd monitor for display.

However... when I then switched to the other drawing the view pane of the drawing disappears and only reappears if go back to that drawing.  But this is on Windows and it might be different on a Mac now.

So I have not yet figured out how to have two drawing files open on two monitors all the time when editing one drawing, at least not through the multiple view panes. Unless I missed a setting somewhere.

From the help file " Unlike view panes in the application window, floating view panes do not toggle on and off with the Enable Multiple View Panes command. Floating view panes remain visible as long as the Vectorworks file they are in remains the active document. "

The Multiple Drawing Views title in the help file is slightly confusing as it is actually about multiple views for A drawing, not about views OF multiple drawings. If it would be the latter then the plural would then be on drawing and not on view, but not everyone may realize that right away. Maybe make this help topic a bit more clear by rewording it to Multiple Views of a Drawing?

• 8 months later...

It is quite easy to to do what you want with a Mac...and I only have Vectorworks 2013. I connect my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) to a Dell monitor. Under "System Preferences_Displays, there are options for detecting other monitors, choosing whether the monitor "mirrors" the main display or provides additional work space, etc.

• Like 1