markdd

Lighting Instruments no longer focus

15 posts in this topic

@JimW@Rob Books

Lighting Instruments no longer point towards the focus point in VWX 2018 or in fact draw beams. Could someone from VWX offer an explanation for this. Have you changed the workflow?

Many thanks

Mark

I am unable to replicate this, you are seeing this in a new blank file or a converted one?

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.30.47 AM.png

In a file inherited from 2017. Tried in a blank file with a VWX symbol and didn't work but restarted and now it does. My own symbols still seem to be a problem when before yesterday they worked fine! Is there a new set of criteria that I need to know about for making these?

Thanks

Just now, markdd said:

In a file inherited from 2017. Tried in a blank file with a VWX symbol and didn't work but restarted and now it does. My own symbols still seem to be a problem when before yesterday they worked fine! Is there a new set of criteria that I need to know about for making these?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge, would you mind posting one of the affected instruments in a test file? I can take a look and submit if need be. 

I think the panic is over! It may be related to the fact that the symbols were referenced in to the file and the file was looking for the old un updated reference..... I changed that to the updated 2018 reference file and all seemed to be well apart from this weird instrument behaviour. Saved, closed and re started VWX and all seems to be fine now. 

Thanks for your very speedy response! I'll update if there are any further issues!

Mark

We did add a new field to the parts record, but it should still work if it is not present.  

Edited by Rob Books

Thanks Rob, I noticed that. What does it do btw?

There are some plans in the works for Vision Content and we needed a way of specifying the Loci for the Spotlight side of things, so if there is a single Loci, if it has the parts record attached or not, it will perform as usual.  if there are multiple loci, and one of them has the parts record attached with the Point set to true, then it will use that point rather than the insertion point.

4 hours ago, Rob Books said:

There are some plans in the works for Vision Content and we needed a way of specifying the Loci for the Spotlight side of things, so if there is a single Loci, if it has the parts record attached or not, it will perform as usual.  if there are multiple loci, and one of them has the parts record attached with the Point set to true, then it will use that point rather than the insertion point.

Is this additional loci for setting the physical light object?  For example, moving the light object further back in the instrument?  

Not at this time. this is purely for creating Vision Geometric content in vectorworks.  but I hope that we might be able to utilize some of the things we are doing with this to improve things like multi part instruments, and light objects behaving more realisticly.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:46 AM, Rob Books said:

Not at this time. this is purely for creating Vision Geometric content in vectorworks.  but I hope that we might be able to utilize some of the things we are doing with this to improve things like multi part instruments, and light objects behaving more realisticly.

I would sure like to know more about that. 

13 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I would sure like to know more about that. 

Find me at the designer summit and I will talk with you about Vision Content.

7 hours ago, Rob Books said:

Find me at the designer summit and I will talk with you about Vision Content.

What about those of us who can't go to the designer summit? Can we get any insights? :-)

you probably won't see anything in Vectorworks till VW2019.  just seeing about changing up how we create the Vision geometry files.