Designing in 3d, but with angled buildings on same plot?

David S

We work entirely in 3D/Renderworks etc. One of our commissions is to not only renovate a large original dwelling, but to design a new build on the same plot. But *great* the new build needs to be at an angle because of the plot. Naturally the designing and modelling for each building needs to be done "face-on" Ideally in the same file, but 2 files is not a deal- breaker. Has anybody got any super-cunning ideas who may have come across this before? (other than a 2 file option, each building face on -but not together - and having to carefully & manually move the new build to the master file to create composite drawings) It's a lovely house....Thank you, David

83.JPG

• Like 2

Brilliant! I stumbled on a solution! I converted the entire original house into 3D Polygons on its original design layers. Imported these into a new (new build) file. Changed the file so the new build was not skewed (thus skewing the original house) and then re changed the design layer levels in the new file to correct new modelling levels and then aligned the original houses levels to the known ground external levels. Job done! I need to go and lie down now!

skew.JPG

On 9/12/2017 at 3:16 PM, zoomer said:

For the future it would be nice if a file in VW could include more than one building

with independent Story/Level Settings like it is used in IFC.

(+ different Plan/North orientations for each Building on Site ?)

Zoomer, I didn't do this as there is only a very basic model for the second building as it is being designed. I was trying to prepare the file so it could be worked on without compromising each building. I got to a solution (below) in any case. Cheers D

• 1 month later...

For those of you interested, the designs for this project are nearly complete. My quest for success ended with referencing the main house (right) vwx file into the new build (left) file, which was amazing. This allows me to make changes to the main house which will be updated to the composite file. I had no idea this was possible in Vectorworks. Really enjoying VWX 2018. Cheers D

83 Wensleydale Road New Build and Referenced ex.jpg

• Like 2