JimW

Vectorworks 2018

43 posts in this topic

Those aren't files I have on hand specifically (I think they're from@Luis M Ruiz, but I'm not positive. ) (CORRECTION: These were from@Stephan Moenninghoff!) They're both reflectivity shaders so they allow you to do other work with the color and bump/displacement to get much more realistic looking materials.

Even in this simple test showing a few variants, they're very good looking:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-12_at_12_48.38_PM.png

No texture mapping options mentioned so I guess that repeat textures or textures with patterns are pointless on Sub-D objects?

Please say you have something up your sleeve on this one otherwise its pretty useless again.

8 minutes ago, barkest said:

No texture mapping options mentioned so I guess that repeat textures or textures with patterns are pointless on Sub-D objects?

Please say you have something up your sleeve on this one otherwise its pretty useless again.

Unfortunately no. The appropriate parties have been made as aware as I can make them of the limitations to texture mapping. The requests are in, just a matter of them being selected for implementation. 

30 minutes ago, JimW said:

Unfortunately no. The appropriate parties have been made as aware as I can make them of the limitations to texture mapping. The requests are in, just a matter of them being selected for implementation. 

Not sure about others I can only speak for myself. The Sub-D tool gets better each year but if the forum is any evidence its not being used. There is no point in building a rolls royce engine if you neglect the bodywork.

For interior design I see nothing in the upgrade so far apart from a couple of shaders. I hope I am wrong.

Interestingly the best things for us are a UK office and more attention being paid to Education (still a long way to go to catch up with others). These things far outstrip 2018 so far. 

No texture mapping, tris on export, stair tool confusing and at times unworkable and lots of small things that need fixing. 

The issue I now have is that I can't really complain given that our shiny new UK office agreed to education being free.

Thanks to their support and of course yours.

39 minutes ago, barkest said:

The Sub-D tool gets better each year but if the forum is any evidence its not being used. There is no point in building a rolls royce engine if you neglect the bodywork.

I'm actually curious about what the first year analytics show...... maybe we need a like/dislike button for each tool so when we use it and get frustrated we can send feedback :D

Kevin

Jim,

I want to thank you personally for handling ALL of the advance Teasers, for being the Messenger, and the Dart Board. It is a job extremely well done. You are truly a multifaceted vortex of talent and responsibility. There is no way anybody will know what is on the table before them until AFTER they have supped. May you survive the meal until the dessert plates are cleared.

VW 2018's design blended with current technology is a gift to any user who understands the value of a custom tool he or she helped influence, and though I haven't tried most of what is offered, I am thoroughly impressed with the Multiple View Panes, the Unicode implementation, and Plug-In Styles. Multiple View Panes is flashy and everybody will see it in action and understand it right out of the box. The Unicode handling is much more subtle. It will take people longer to appreciate it, but it will be one of the first things they will miss when they try to use older versions of VW. Plug-In Styles may be tricky for some to grasp at first, but it is an excellent way for VW to organize a huge volume of design differences for each manufacturer's library. This approach to managing resources revolutionizes how VW users will handle many large catalogs from an ever expanding source of suppliers. 

Congratulation to you and all your co-workers. It's time to take a deep breath and relax for 5 minutes. 

See you at the Summit,

Raymond  :-)

4 minutes ago, MullinRJ said:

I want to thank you personally for handling ALL of the advance Teasers, for being the Messenger, and the Dart Board. It is a job extremely well done. You are truly a multifaceted vortex of talent and responsibility. There is no way anybody will know what is on the table before them until AFTER they have supped. May you survive the meal until the dessert plates are cleared.

Thank you very much, I try!

5 minutes ago, MullinRJ said:

Congratulation to you and all your co-workers. It's time to take a deep breath and relax for 5 minutes. 

I am told they are preparing a little feast this evening. I'll enjoy that thoroughly and then tomorrow, get into the business of identifying items for SP1 and beyond. Make sure to get my attention at the Summit!

Hats off to another great release. Sure there are some things here and there that need some work. But this MultiView Pane editing has been such a game changer.

Just threw a 6 storey/3 tower apartment project into this and its been very stable (2-3hours of play), and working on different views on different towers and different levels all in one view is major productivity boost!

Had a good play today. 

Multiple Views is fantastic. Even better than expected. I modelled a kiosk - so cool and so much quicker being able to see 3 or 4 views at the same time. It didn't take long to unlearn old habits of hitting keys for different views to flick back and forth. So cool seeing a 3D view come together whilst you work on a side view. 

Hadn't realised you can have sheet views displayed too. Today - I had to reference info off one sheet view whilst working in another. Another unexpected advantage of multi views. 

Really well implemented. Well done all!!  Hope you're enjoying your celebratory meal tonight !@JimW

And there was much rejoicing, Biplab praising those who went the extra mile, and wearing of newly branded t-shirts!

20170912_163401.jpg

All looks good for the new release....however I can't see why all the secrecy over the new developments of the software that made me not renew my vss for 2018 .....I have made this point before......you have lost a loyal customer......but I wish you well and hope the glossy video delivers.......I am sure it will.......again well done vectorworks.......looks great.......

6 hours ago, JimW said:

So, so shiny:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-12_at_12_15.28_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-09-12_at_12_12_12_PM.png

These look incredible!

Rob

Thanks for all the info on the 2018 update, much appreciated. 

And I would just like to say that I LOVE the MultiView Pane editing, I feel this is going to make a huge impact on the way I work and the speed. 

Looking forward to exploring 2018 further and finding more exciting features. 

Has the lease version been posted? I think I'm using RC-1 and have not seen notice of a new version?

Ok so after moaning about Sub-D texturing I would like to say that the multiple view option is great.

Thank you this is an incredible time saver and will help us a lot