Vectorworks 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Those aren't files I have on hand specifically (I think they're from@Luis M Ruiz, but I'm not positive. ) (CORRECTION: These were from@Stephan Moenninghoff!) They're both reflectivity shaders so they allow you to do other work with the color and bump/displacement to get much more realistic looking materials.

Even in this simple test showing a few variants, they're very good looking:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-12_at_12_48.38_PM.png

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, barkest said:

No texture mapping options mentioned so I guess that repeat textures or textures with patterns are pointless on Sub-D objects?

Please say you have something up your sleeve on this one otherwise its pretty useless again.

Unfortunately no. The appropriate parties have been made as aware as I can make them of the limitations to texture mapping. The requests are in, just a matter of them being selected for implementation. 

30 minutes ago, JimW said:

Unfortunately no. The appropriate parties have been made as aware as I can make them of the limitations to texture mapping. The requests are in, just a matter of them being selected for implementation. 

Not sure about others I can only speak for myself. The Sub-D tool gets better each year but if the forum is any evidence its not being used. There is no point in building a rolls royce engine if you neglect the bodywork.

For interior design I see nothing in the upgrade so far apart from a couple of shaders. I hope I am wrong.

Interestingly the best things for us are a UK office and more attention being paid to Education (still a long way to go to catch up with others). These things far outstrip 2018 so far. 

No texture mapping, tris on export, stair tool confusing and at times unworkable and lots of small things that need fixing. 

The issue I now have is that I can't really complain given that our shiny new UK office agreed to education being free.

Thanks to their support and of course yours.

39 minutes ago, barkest said:

The Sub-D tool gets better each year but if the forum is any evidence its not being used. There is no point in building a rolls royce engine if you neglect the bodywork.

I'm actually curious about what the first year analytics show...... maybe we need a like/dislike button for each tool so when we use it and get frustrated we can send feedback :D

Kevin

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MullinRJ said:

I want to thank you personally for handling ALL of the advance Teasers, for being the Messenger, and the Dart Board. It is a job extremely well done. You are truly a multifaceted vortex of talent and responsibility. There is no way anybody will know what is on the table before them until AFTER they have supped. May you survive the meal until the dessert plates are cleared.

Thank you very much, I try!

5 minutes ago, MullinRJ said:

Congratulation to you and all your co-workers. It's time to take a deep breath and relax for 5 minutes. 

I am told they are preparing a little feast this evening. I'll enjoy that thoroughly and then tomorrow, get into the business of identifying items for SP1 and beyond. Make sure to get my attention at the Summit!

• Like 2

Hats off to another great release. Sure there are some things here and there that need some work. But this MultiView Pane editing has been such a game changer.

Just threw a 6 storey/3 tower apartment project into this and its been very stable (2-3hours of play), and working on different views on different towers and different levels all in one view is major productivity boost!

• Like 2

Had a good play today. 

Multiple Views is fantastic. Even better than expected. I modelled a kiosk - so cool and so much quicker being able to see 3 or 4 views at the same time. It didn't take long to unlearn old habits of hitting keys for different views to flick back and forth. So cool seeing a 3D view come together whilst you work on a side view. 

Hadn't realised you can have sheet views displayed too. Today - I had to reference info off one sheet view whilst working in another. Another unexpected advantage of multi views. 

Really well implemented. Well done all!!  Hope you're enjoying your celebratory meal tonight !@JimW

All looks good for the new release....however I can't see why all the secrecy over the new developments of the software that made me not renew my vss for 2018 .....I have made this point before......you have lost a loyal customer......but I wish you well and hope the glossy video delivers.......I am sure it will.......again well done vectorworks.......looks great.......

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Matt Overton said:

Is there a non-marketing change list document that details all the changes, especially the minor ones?

Jim detailed some in the second post of this thread but I haven't seen anything beyond that. As an example there's been no information about Marionette though I saw someone post a question asking about it.

Kevin

55 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

As an example there's been no information about Marionette though I saw someone post a question asking about it.

That would be me :) . And, as our CAD Manager, a non marketing change-list is much needed.

The Online Help, does have list though, [http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/index.htm#t=VW2018_Guide%2FNewFeatures%2FNew_Features.htm];

But what I'm after are more specific changes to 'EXISTING' tools. There's a long thread somewhere about the 'Edit Site Model Source Data' disappearing. Which I believe is not in the help documentation.

As 2018 hasn't been released yet in New Zealand, I can only wait and then explore, once its released here.

Tagging @Marissa Farrell, @sbarrettfor any update on this?[RE Marionette Changelist Improvements]

Edited by twk
  • Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

@twk

A quick list of what's new in Marionette:

• Menu commands - Users can now convert their wrapper nodes to Menu Commands by right clicking and choosing 'Convert to Menu Command." These commands can be accessed by going to Tools > Marionette Commands
  • Valve node - blocks the rest of the network from being run taking a boolean as input
  • User Function node - Allows a user to define a 1-variable function in the OIP
  • Marionette Preferences - allows users to cache the values in wires so when in debugging the network isn't repeatedly re-run to see what's running through the network. This is good for debugging networks with random values.
  • File I/O nodes - Allows users to access information stored in external files such as .txt and .csv files. (Pretty much any text based file can be read/written with these nodes.)
  • User Interaction nodes - These nodes will prompt users for input with a dialog box. Useful in Menu Command networks.

These will hopefully all be gone over in files/videos. If you want any more information on any of them ahead of time, let me know and I can get into them deeper.

EDIT:

• Users can now choose to prevent reset on move when converting a Wrapper to a Marionette Object. Prior to 2018, each time a Marionette object was moved, the entire network had to be run. This option will prevent rerunning the network inside of an object unless a change has been made to its parameters.
  • Like 3