Furniture Symbols/Objects Inheriting Space ID Properties

Marc Davies

Is there a method anyone has used for hybrid symbols or objects to inherit space properties? I would like to shortcut the lengthy and error prone effort of manually assigning room numbers or names to furniture records (which is my current method) to enable worksheets with room-by-room (i.e. space-by-space) take off. I hope I am not alone in this requirement?

There is,

Have a look at Worksheet Functions in the VW help file, and there for these:

GetSpaceNameForObj(criteria)

(Vectorworks Architect required) The name of the space that surrounds the object that meets the specified criteria. Related function: GetSpaceNumForObj 

Examples:

Database header cell: =GetSpaceNameForObj returns the space name for each object in the database

Spreadsheet cell: =GetSpaceNameForObj(n='chair-1') returns the space name for the object named “chair-1”

GetSpaceNumForObj(criteria)

(Vectorworks Architect required) The number of the space that surrounds the object that meets the specified criteria. Related function: GetSpaceNameForObj 

Examples:

Database header cell: =GetSpaceNumForObj returns the space number for each object in the database

Spreadsheet cell: =GetSpaceNumForObj(n='chair-1') returns the space number for the object named “chair-1”

There are others than these as well.

A word of caution, however: I have had inconstistent results with these so far. Issues I've come across are:

-The door object, which is in the middle of a wall, gets assigned one of the adjacent spaces, according to some invisible logic. As far as I know, there is no way to manually assign the space to the door. Some programs have a small handle that allows them to do this; I've wishlisted this item.

-On some projects, only some of the objects seem to be able to read this information correctly. I don't know why yet.

-On some projects, the functions seem to work ok.

HTH

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...