Print Area and Layer Scale

Damien, I'm not sure I understand your question. Could explain what you mean by "no mans land". Also, what are you trying to achieve by changing the scale of all layers? If your goal is to print a reduced-size copy, are you aware of the scale percentage setting in the page setup dialog?

Peter Cipes

Residential Designer

Ashland, Oregon, USA

you place a titleblock on a layer

and place the print area on the page border

then if you change the layer scale the print area moves out of the screen and is located

somewhere which takes at least 8 zoom outs

to find it.

U can zoom it by using Command-3 or 6.

I'm not advise U to move print area to meet page border.

Try move the page border to match print area.

If U got several pages to print from one drawing. Use Layer link to manage it.

It sound not important. But it will very helpfull later on.

If double click on the move page tool, the print area will move itself around 0,0 should the gray print area have been moved.

If you've drawn away from 0,0, use the set origin tool or command to set the origin around the center of your drawing - then double click on the move page tool to center the print area around the origin.

Katie's advice is good, but a warning about moving origins - unlike AutoCAD you can't return to World origin (the internal VW origin) easily...as there is no command for it. Trouble is - hatch patterns seem to stick doggedly to the internal VW origin, so dimension-critical hatches such as brick courses don't work after you move the origin.

Whenever you move the origin, always make a new layer with info about the origins on it. Put a locus point on the original origin and lock it. You can always go back to it if you have a problem.

Please alert before U change the drawing origin.

It will confusing you when deal with VW script.

The script GetPt, GetSegPt always refer to original origin ( as describe by Chris D )

The Unit/number at ruller bar did not show the real value.

[ 05-06-2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: G-Pang ]

Thanks for everyones advice :-)

However, we can't shift the origin point on our drawings as they are referenced to the Australian Map Grid and are used by the Architect, Engineers, etc and it then becomes a pain for them reference in our drawing. Hopefully the page viewports in Version 11 will help us with this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

OK by accident while doing Templates for

my work I found the solution

First - Titleblock Layer to Active only

Second - Select All

Third - Select Page Tool

Fourth - Apple and 4

Fifth - Click so that the X appears in the page boundary

Sixth - Apple and 3

Seventh - Tada ! there is your Titleblock

Eighth - Click where you want your boundary to be.

Cheers

Damian

Damian,

I'm not sure if I can follow your solution - but the thing is that VW cannot possibly know that some objects should be kept at a particular location in relation to page when you change scale. If you would scale in page setup, things would be different.

If VW 11 does not fix this for you, remind me to give you a couple of relevant tools when we meet next time - they'll make it reasonably easy to keep all sheet layers at 1:1 scale.

Cheers,

Petri

Something about Chris D's reply hit wrong... There are 2 types of hatches: Associative Hatches, which are applied from the Attributes palette, and plain old Hatches, found on the Tool menu.

The associative hatches are like a fill - they are related to some internal Vectorworks point, and not to the polygon they are applied to. They WILL fill a shape if it is edited (like a fill), so they are good for indicating things like concrete, soil, etc. They shouldn't be used for things where the location or orientation of the hatch is critical.

The plain old hatches (Tool Menu) are drawn from a user selected origin, and may also be rotated during application. Once they are applied, they become just a Group of lines, and therefore will not fill a shape if that shape is edited. But, being a group of lines, they will always be aligned with an object if they are moved with that object. This is the type of hatch to use for things like masonry, ceiling tiles, etc. (pre VW11)

[ 05-27-2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Antone Cepernich ]