dormers disappearing

nikihoops

I'm trying sooooo hard to get to grips with 3D Vectorworks having used it for 2D drawing for the last 10 years and I'm pulling my hair out! 

I have created my roof, hip at one end and gable at the other. I have added (finally) three dormers but since adding the third my grips have disappeared so I cannot edit them anymore - and when I try to add another dormer (hip end) it makes the other three complete disappear!

Help! 

Thanks in advance

Vectorworks Architect 2017

MacOS Sierra

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the file.

Something certainly went wrong with the dormers in the roof. the only thing I could do is to edit a roof face and causing the dormers to be deleted.

My recommendation is this:

1. Edit a face of the roof to reset it and lose the dormers or (probably better) recreate the roof to be sure there's no gremlins lingering.

2. Create the dormers "from scratch" by placing your own walls, windows and roofs. The built-in dormer feature is pretty limited and best for quick conceptual generic dormers. I think you'll find it far easier to create a dormer to your specs with walls, windows, and roof objects. Once it's in place, you can cut a hole in the main roof by creating a polygon and using "Clip Surface" with the polygon and roof selected.

I've attached your file with the one dormer started to give you an idea of how it can work.

I hope this helps!

-Matt

Roof_Dormers_v2017.vwx

3 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Thanks for the file.

Something certainly went wrong with the dormers in the roof. the only thing I could do is to edit a roof face and causing the dormers to be deleted.

My recommendation is this:

1. Edit a face of the roof to reset it and lose the dormers or (probably better) recreate the roof to be sure there's no gremlins lingering.

2. Create the dormers "from scratch" by placing your own walls, windows and roofs. The built-in dormer feature is pretty limited and best for quick conceptual generic dormers. I think you'll find it far easier to create a dormer to your specs with walls, windows, and roof objects. Once it's in place, you can cut a hole in the main roof by creating a polygon and using "Clip Surface" with the polygon and roof selected.

I've attached your file with the one dormer started to give you an idea of how it can work.

I hope this helps!

-Matt

Roof_Dormers_v2017.vwx

Thank you, really appreciate your time on this. I will take a look and a get to grips with it. 
Converting to 3D for me is proving hard work so far. I'm used to 2D Vectorworks and a bit of sketch up here and there. 
I'm still detailing in 2D until I'm fully understanding 3D Vectorworks 

Thanks again

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're welcome!

A nice thing about Vectorworks is that you can choose how far you want to go in 3D, then add additional detail as 2D annotations. This allows you to start with the more basic 3D tools that do a lot of work for you (walls, slabs, roofs, doors, windows, stairs) without getting bogged down with more complex modeling until you're more comfortable. And, of course, this community board is invaluable with so many members willing to help you. :-)