Best Practices for Workgroup BIM using Vectorworks

blimey

Hello, 

I'm trying to set up some BIM methodology in our office (we've been drawing in 3D since VW12.5 but haven't updated the workflow since). I found Robert Anderson white paper :"Best Practices" from 2013. It's close to what I am thinking and what we've been doing.

We have been using VW2013 all this time (altghouh vw2017 is installed) but we have decided to move on to VW2017 (without using the shared file system yet) or it'll be 2018 by the time I'm ready.

Has someone been using VW2017 in a BIM philosophy?

Are there any big changes so that the 2013 Best Practices should be updated? 

Thank you for your help  

Thank you Wes, 

I have read those already thank you. They are very nice, but I'm actually looking for much more practical material. 

I also have read your Model Set up Tutorial, which was amazingly useful !

Thank you.

We are actually following your advices to put them in practice. 

It works fine for all the predominant conditions. 

We then of course have a lot of particular conditions that we wonder how we should solve :

For exemple what would you advice in a situation where you have a slab (structuraly the same slab) with part of the slab inside the building and part of the slab outside the building (so that outside, it needs to be insulated). 

>>> Do you think it is better to :

1) split the slab in 2 slabs style : one for the composition the slab inside the building, one for the composition of the same slab outside the building : this lead us to a model that does not match the structural reality...

2) draw one slab respecting the real structure and superpose other slab at a different level for the finishes (inside finishes or outside insulation).... this is closer to the construction reality, but also a bit complex

What I liked with Robert Anderson's BIM Best Practice was that it was very pragmatic as well and very close to the way we have indeed structured our files (regarding the granularity of the files and the referencing).  I realise that the  multi-user environment is interesting but for many reason (some hardware) it is not yet so easy for us to implement and we currently feel more confident with the workgroup system we've been using up till now.... I would like to have you opinion about the proposed project structuring. 

Will we have problem if we work VW2018 using workgroup referenced file following Robert Anderson 2013 proposed structure? It would of course be transitionnal (2 years?)

First I thought, 2 Slabs, of course.

But no.

If the structural Slab goes through, without changing its thickness => 1 Slab

In VW it is better to have extra slabs for structural and finish floor package anyway.

(Slab runs through, finish floors differ from room to room, ....)

So like the same Slab will get a thicker Finish Floor when used as a roof,

the same happens for your Slab situation + you will need an additional

2nd "Finish Floor" below your structural Slab.

^ I really would like to do so. Much more flexible.

But so far that does not work with Walls as Windows and Doors can belong and cut a single Wall only.

That would be great.

I have not much problems with interior Walls. But with exterior Walls where I really would like to have that

whole insulation and facade package separately.

And it would save from many Wall Style duplicates if you could apply your interior Wall finishes from the

Space Object,. Individually per Wall if needed.

Edited by zoomer